Best Time for Spraying rushes in a lawn

PaddyH

I plan to spray the rushes in my lawn in the next few weeks - mid april. My plan is to cut the lawn fairly high - allow 7-10 days growth - then spray and leave for 4 weeks before cutting. Should I leave more time for growth before spraying?? I'm hoping not because with the 4 weeks afterwards that's 5-6 weeks between lawn cuts.

Must be an underlying reason for rushes in the lawn... Bad drainage perhaps?

Yes to an extent - I leave in Kerry and would say 80% of lawns have rushing - especially after the recent bad summers. Of course it would be good to put in better drainage and potentially better topsoil - but for the moment I believe they can be controlled by spraying - just wondering how much growth would be needed before spraying so that the spray will have the full effect

PaddyH

I have the same problem as you (same part of the country) and I was wondering what you intend spraying the rushes with?
Would you not kill the grass in the process? Is there a special spray for rushes?
I thought that by constantly cutting them they would disappear, but alas they seem to thrive on it.
Any help appreciated
Thanks
AleoN

Hi AleoN

I'll be using MCPA 500 Amine - can be got at any co-op store etc - used to control rushes and other weeds on agricultural land by farmers. Obviously better drainage would help but my lawn is .5 acre and couldn't afford to have it all covered in best top soil etc - so will make do with it! Lime seems to be mentionned on some forums also - if there wasn't enough lime in the ground, rushes would thrive more also

Back