Best / safest method of currency while traveling abroad

Chris2006

Hi,
I am an inexperienced traveler and I am looking for advice as to the best and safest method / form of currency when traveling abroad to a number of countries, which have different currencies. We will be traveling to Fiji, New Zealand, Australia and Thailand (in this order) for a month. I have a cirse card which will allow me to withdraw money overseas however I am not favourable towards this method due to the bank charges. It has been suggested to me to credit my credit card however I’m just after finding out that if this card was stolen / lost the amount credited to the credit card is not covered in such an instance! Are traveler’s cheques the best method to go or will I just bring the Australian dollar and hopefully the Fijians will deal with this currency?
Your help is very much appreciated.

Definately avoid the cirrus card anyway, the charges are just crazy! I'd recommend that you take a small amount of travellers cheques (American Express ones are easiest to exchange), a credit card and a small bit of commonly accepted cash (i.e. US dollars). This will cover you should you find yourself out of reach of an ATM, but in the countries you mentioned you probably won't run into that problem too much.

I found that putting smallish amounts (i.e. around EUR 300 at a time ) of money on the credit card (using Internet Banking) and then withdrawing from ATMs is the most cost effective / safe way if you're going to be in relatively well developed countries.

I’m just after finding out that if this card was stolen / lost the amount credited to the credit card is not covered in such an instance!

Did your bank tell you this specifically? If your card is stolen and you report it, I don't see how you can be held liable for any further transactions that are let through on it.

Back