Best Road....Dublin to Ballycotton/Cork.

gledswood

I hope to travel down to Ballycotton for a few nights in July.

I am not sure if I should take the M8 or the M9.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

M7/ M8 is a 20km longer trip, but typically 5 to 10 minutes shorter journey time. You could get unlucky behind something slow with the N25.

M9 down to Waterford, through Dungarvan and Youghal and turn left at Castlemartyr Bridge. Only 1 toll on that route, and whilst you do run the risk of getting delayed on the N25, the other way you run the risk of getting delayed by traffic heading to the tunnel if anything happens there. Also if you go M8 and if you turn at Lakeview Roundabout at Midleton, the road from Cloyne through Shanagarry and onto Ballycotton is pretty awful. Alternatively, if you come keep going past Midleton to Castlemartyr Bridge, the traffic coming into Castemartyr from that side is way worse usually then if you come from the Youghal side.

M8 to junction 15, then castlelyons, Dungourney, Mogeely, Ladysbridge and Ballycotton. Avoids to Jack Lynch interchange and M25, shorter route but still the same time overall.

M9 down to Waterford, through Dungarvan and Youghal and turn left at Castlemartyr Bridge. Only 1 toll on that route, and whilst you do run the risk of getting delayed on the N25, the other way you run the risk of getting delayed by traffic heading to the tunnel if anything happens there. Also if you go M8 and if you turn at Lakeview Roundabout at Midleton, the road from Cloyne through Shanagarry and onto Ballycotton is pretty awful. Alternatively, if you come keep going past Midleton to Castlemartyr Bridge, the traffic coming into Castemartyr from that side is way worse usually then if you come from the Youghal side.
No traffic if heading east at Dunkettle from M8, with the new free-flow system, then take dual carrigeway all the way to Midleton, faster, safer, turnoff for Ballycotton at final dual carriageway roundabout.

I travel the N25 lots of times to Wexford, I would not swap it for a 98% dual carriageway/motorway route.!.

If it's just a holiday trip and you're not in a rush, then definitely the Waterford route is best. The M8 via Fermoy, Cork Midleton is just straight boring motorway.
And on the way back - the coast road up via Arklow.
Much nicer trip.

PS Castlemartyr traffic is only bad at the usual school and rush hour times - no problem outside of those.
But having to negotiate Dunkettle at the end of a drive from Dublin would be hellish.
Much easier to come via Youghal, relax with a beautiful coastal view for a few minutes and then on to Castlemartyr, turn left at the only crossing there and drive straight down via Ladysbridge to Ballycotton.
Enjoy.

Entering M50 at Sandyford.
You have three possible routes:
  • The M7/M8/N25 - Good if you want to just sit in and drive and probably the fastest. I wouldn't worry about the Dunkettle Interchange now, the movement from M8S to N25E is free flow and since the interchange upgrade was completed rarely backs up (in the event of a crash). Last few miles from Midleton or Castlemartyr to Ballycotton is short but windy and will be slow enough, but that's the same for all three routes.
  • M7/M9/N25 - The motorway section is fine and N25 section (90km or so depending on where you turn off) is OK but can be tough going if you get stuck behind an artic etc. To be honest I can't think of any reason to chose this over the option above, which gives you motorway/DC all the way to Middleton.
  • NM11/N30/N25 - A longer route, somewhat more scenic and interesting, and a few nice places to stop along the way. Grand if you want to leave after breakfast, have a more leisurely drive and stop off en route and get there for tea time.
I know someone suggest a cross country route from M8 J15 to the N25, but that's pretty windy and you could easily get stuck. Again, other than to practice you rally driving moves, I can't think of any reason to do this post the completion of the Dunkettle Interchange upgrade.

Enjoy Ballycotton, it's a lovely spot.

PS Castlemartyr traffic is only bad at the usual school and rush hour times - no problem outside of those.
But having to negotiate Dunkettle at the end of a drive from Dublin would be hellish.
Much easier to come via Youghal, relax with a beautiful coastal view for a few minutes and then on to Castlemartyr, turn left at the only crossing there and drive straight down via Ladysbridge to Ballycotton.
Enjoy.
No negotiating of dunkettle, its free flow, no back up at all of traffic heading M8 EAST to Midleton.

Nah, never any traffic there ...
https://www.corkbeo.ie/news/local-news/live-cork-traffic-travel-updates-28955062
https://www.corkbeo.ie/news/local-news/live-jack-lynch-tunnel-crash-28781139
.https://www.corkbeo.ie/news/local-news/live-updates-cork-dublin-motorway-28624582..

I unfortunately experience the East-West traffic there twice per day, five days a week.
Definately not worth the €325 million or however much we (taxpayers) spent on that.
North-South, I hear, is somewhat better.
But still, Waterford - Youghal - Ballycotton is so much nicer for sake of a few extra minutes.

I'll bet you do get shafted going east west both ways.
But the op is going north to east. It's practically two lanes paring off just before the tunnel. There is bugger all traffic compared to the Q which M8 to Little Island used to have

East west got a raw deal indeed but north to south or vice versa did well out of the scheme!
Ultimately theres too many cars arriving at a two lane tunnel converging from multiple directions at once

Don't go cross country from Fermoy unless you are used to driving on mediocre country roads. There is damage on it after the recent rain as well.

Not tried the tunnel since the changes were made, my comments were based on past experience. Schools being off should help with Castelmartyr and the road from Castlemartyr to Ballycotton via Shanagarry is definately better then going via Midleton and Cloyne

Much better options for stopping as well for a cuppa if you go via Dungarvan, aside from the service stations, only option on the main Cork/Dublin road is Horse and Jockey which has got very expensive for what you get

And the M8 is possibly the most boring road in the country

"Ultimately theres too many cars arriving at a two lane tunnel converging from multiple directions at once" (ClintEastwwod)
Absolutely correct.
From the eastern side, two lanes merge into one on the approach to the tunnel.
They are joined by a lane from Little Island - which also is a lane resulting from two merged lanes.
So these FOUR lanes merge into one lane before entering the tunnel parallel to the lane of traffic arriving from the North.
Crazy.
If a 1st Year had given me the plan - I'd have given them a 'Fail. Try again'!

If simply going from A-B, easiest travel and least likely for delays, then M7/M8/N25 is best.

If leisurely drive and want to stop off enroute, M7/M8/N25 via Dungarvan stopping in Dungarvan. But Waterford to Youghal can be a slow road if it's busy.

Back