Best pop songs ever

POP? Do you mean as in not rock or not pop-rock or not an identifiable commercial subgenre (e.g. disco, ) but pure pop?

It's a musical minefield out there you know!

But AHA's Take on me is pretty close to pefect pop I think.

My favourite is T Rex's " Hot Love " closely followed by " Itchycoo Park " by the Small Faces .

Also love " You can't catch me I'm part of the Union " by The Strawbs ( only joking - couldn't resist it :D )

Must agree with Caveat - defining the Pop genre is an absolute minefield.

Impossible to pick just one - I can't even pick my favourite REM pop song (probably my favourite pop band back when they stuck to pop before they lost their way!) but Stand and Losing My Religion would be up there.

Also love " You can't catch me I'm part of the Union " by The Strawbs ( only joking - couldn't resist it :D )

Good grief. Would it surprise you to learn that I hate this with a passion? :)

And not for obvious reasons!

But yeah, well done on Hot Love & Itchycoo Park - two real contenders there.

Come up and see me make me smile must come close too.

Good grief. Would it surprise you to learn that I hate this with a passion? :)

And not for obvious reasons!

But yeah, well done on Hot Love & Itchycoo Park - two real contenders there.

Come up and see me make me smile must come close too.

" Come up & see me " - great song

Great question by OP , the more you reflect on the songs the more you come up with !

How could I forgotten the sublimely beautiful " Waterloo Sunset " by the Kinks , a wonderful combination of great lyrics and tune

How would you define a "pop" song anyway/

How about something you feel compelled to dance to and sing loudly at a wedding when you've had a few. In which case, may I nominate "Ring my Bell". (If only i'd waited until after the ceremony).

How would you define a "pop" song anyway/

OK, I'll bite :)

Something that

Does not overly rely on the conventions of other easily identifiable genres (e.g. blues, reggae)

Has production that sits on the top and bottom end of the spectrum, accentuating the bass and treble, not the middle area that rock guitar enjoys. It will also not sound "muddy" on the radio.
On that note, you want to jiggle and enjoy and let it wash over you (not air punch, or grimly nod - that would be rock again)

Has mass singalong appeal and rarely has "something to say" - or if it does, it's in a pretty lightweight manner usually.

Your parents might even like it, because it's all about the tune.

How does that sound?

Not exhaustive I grant you but covers most of it I would have thought :cool:

Has mass singalong appeal and rarely has "something to say" - or if it does, it's in a pretty lightweight manner usually.

Reminds me of the Spitting Image take on Culture Club's "War is Stupid" from the 80s.

War is naughty,
naughty, naughty,
And people who start wars
are naughty people.

War is naughty,
naughty, naughty
and people who start wars
should be sent to bed early.

The undertones, You got my number is a classic pop song. Also the human leagues Fascination.

Itsy bitsy teeny weenie yellow...there...all ye're heads wrecked now for the day!

Actually, I feel a whole lot better now, safe in the knowledge, that someone has even worse taste than I do!

And it has to be Dancing Queen - bearing this in mind:

"something you feel compelled to dance to and sing loudly at a wedding when you've had a few"

mf

Back