Best place for a new terminal/ariport?

Just like Dublin doesn't have then?

so what's your point?

ryanair are not interested in getting people quickly to and from the airport, it's a central part of their strategy to fly to a secondary ariport and bus people onwards. they are interested in low landing fees. anyone who thinks they will build a nice new airport with transport links is in dream land

My point was Dublin Airport doesn't have "world class transport links".

Dublin City for that matter doesn't have "world class trasport links".

hong kong & singapore are small trading countries?:confused: they're not even close!

there will be a quick and cheap rail service with a new terminal at dublin sooner than another one will realistically be built elsewhere - can't see the point of a debtate

There's always time for a good old debtate ;)

The population of Singapore is approximately 4.68 million. The population of Hong Kong is 6.9 million. Both of these countries have world class airports. (Do we have anything world class, apart from Croke Park?) Both of these countries built new airports in recent times. These airports were built on greenfield sites.

Unfortunately we here in Ireland concentrate on mediocrity. We should seek to follow the best. I agree with the points made earlier about Dublin airport needing to be close to Dublin. But close means time, rather than distance. Time is the important factor.

As far as high speed rail to Dublin airport - let's be frank - we have a rubbish record on such projects. It will probably end up double the price, and double the timeframe. Tickets will be ridiculously expensive, and you'll have to pay again for a connecting Luas and again for a connecting bus/train. The rail gauge will be different to Dart, Luas and intercity. If we could count on the government and public service to deliver a good value rail link to the city centre, then I would be more easily convinced of the merits of your arguement.

My point was Dublin doesn't have "world class transport links".

However bad the transport links in Dublin are, they are much worse in other parts of the country.

The primary means of transport around Ireland, and Dublin is driving. Its easier to drive to something not in Dublin.

I think thats the crux of my thinking. Probably flawed but there you go. While I'd love to have the choice of using a train. I think unless you are on a train line already, with enough cpapacity and frequency, you'll be waiting an awful long time to get that anywhere in this country. Based on our "track" record thus far.

I use the train a bit from D.15. In the 20yrs or so I've been using it, its no quicker, its been standing room only for all of that time, stations on route have either no facilities or 3rd world facilities, and my ticket still can't be used for any other public transport on the route. Its still faster to drive, 95% of the time, even in the grid lock. To be honest its actually quicker to cycle my 11/13 mile commute. Considering 20yrs ago travelling and working in Europe as a student, I saw that most of Europes train/public transport systems had all the things we are still looking for here.

Thats why I'm not holding my breath for this world class rail link to Dublin Airport.

Back