Best option for payment - uk car buying trip

serotoninsid

As per thread title, whats the best option for this scenario? Plan on going to the UK - have shortlisted a few dealers - and therefore, a number of cars. With that, I can't determine the EXACT sterling amount required - just a general idea of what that will be.

Whats the most feasible option and what is the most $ efficient option?

1. Credit card - could I preload a credit card and use this? How competitive would the exchange rate be - and would a dealer be likely to accept this?
2. Bank draft - From what I understand, this isn't likely to be the cheapest payment option - would that be correct? Furthermore, the difficulty is that I won't know the precise amount - so would have to supplement with cash or credit card payment
3. Cash - I wouldn't be bothered about the security aspect of this (I know - but that's my problem if it happens!) but again, this is a difficulty - as I don't know the specific amount required. Furthermore, would changing from eur to stg in ireland be expensive? Would it be more cost effective to do this in the UK? Do UK banks work on the same basis i.e. requiring notice before they can pay out a large amount of fx?
4. Transfermate - I've heard good things about this service. However, I wonder if that transaction could be completed without delay? i.e. if I turn up at a dealers in the middle of the day - lets say I agree to buy - how fast can a transfer be made from my irish bank to transfermate - and from them to the dealership? The plan is to make a day trip - NOT staying overnight!
Also, is this service likely to provide the best value in terms of cost of exchange?

Lastly, are uk dealerships likely to offer much in the way of discount for a cash payment?

Last car I got was in Belfast. I he'd a few cars in mind but at the one dealership. I got a sterling bank draft for an amount less than what I thought I would pay. Eg I think they were looking for 8k for the car, I got a sterling draft for say 6.5k and brought cash too. Not sure if you can get a bank draft without naming the recipient. Someone else might be able to answer that.
Also be aware that there are limits on amounts of cash you can take out of the country. Think there was a thread about it recently.

For paying in UK I found currency.ie (also known as TransferMate) to be top class. Even though I didn't know what garage I was going to be buying from they agreed to hold my money in their a/c for 3 days to allow me agree a deal. Rang them up on day 2 and money transferred instantly (ended up with a small balance to complete the purchase which I paid by credit card). Was really very impressed with their friendliness, their rates and their 'we can help' attitude.

The money transferred within max 30mins, they have accounts in all major UK banks so the money transfers from their UK bank a/c not their Irish one so that' where the speed comes in. If I were doing it again and I will be I won't even consider any other option!

Back