Best month to visit Hong Kong and Best route to fly?

Bronco Lane

It has been awhile since we have visited Hong Kong, possibly 2018. I think we went during the month of May.

We are planning a return visit for next year and are looking for any first hand recommendations from regular travellers regarding best month to travel...weather wise and best route to fly.

We flew Etihad via Abu Dhabi last time and do not wish to repeat either experience.

Thanks

Weather-wise October / November. December and January are also dry but beware of Chinese New Year as lots will be closed. Avoid June through Sept as the wettest months. If not put off by the weather any time is fine. I commuted to Hong Kong for about 4 years using direct flights from Frankfurt with Lufthansa.

Another plus for Lufthansa.im actually heading there on Tuesday with Lufthansa.
The seems too have good connection via Munich or Frankfurt.
KLM would be another option.
The travel forum on trip advisor would be worth a look also.

Hello,

We travelled out to Hong Kong, via Amsterdam, and returned via Paris, with Air France.

KLM were good, but Air France were poor, and that's before I mention the fact that Air France dumped us in CDG airport, Paris, with no facilities, at something like 4.30am.

As a result, I'd avoid KLM - Air France, but not due to KLM

Emirates are very comfortable and it is nice to break the journey in Dubai.
I am also looking at the various seating options.....Standard Class, Premium Class, Business Class etc.

When we flew with Etihad we flew business class and it was not great to be honest. I don't think I would spend that type of money again....but would consider maybe some sort of Premium Class.

I am also looking at the various seating options.....Standard Class, Premium Class, Business Class etc.

When we flew with Etihad we flew business class and it was not great to be honest. I don't think I would spend that type of money again....but would consider maybe some sort of Premium Class.
Economy is just that. In my personal opinion I would find flying that distance very uncomfortable. Premium Class is similar to Economy on the exit isle - more leg room. Business Class your seat reclines fully and a mattress is provided. It is possible to get a full nights sleep. Emirates has its seat sale in January.

Business Class your seat reclines fully and a mattress is provided
Etihad never provided us with a mattress. The business class seats on the 4 legs (over and back) were of different quality. Even the area where your feet went when lying flat was of different quality. In two of the legs your feet went in to a pointed narrow area, restricting movement.

Thanks for the heads up re Emirates sale in January. We will probably travel in April or October. Does booking a year in advance save money or maybe Black Friday sales?

My fear about booking so far in advance is causing me concern (see my other thread about Ryanair re-scheduling my flights this year).

Using the Emirates App will give you a good idea of cost. I just had a quick look and Economy Class for 2 people in April 2025 is €1750 (2 weeks). Premium and Business were both €7500. Emirates have never changed flight times with any of my bookings (18 years).

Don’t forget if going so far too sign up for the frequent flyer programs,some of which allow lounge access which is quiet good too freshen up in while on the stop over.
@Bronco Lane a business trip with a short break in macau.

We took Cathay direct Dublin-Hong Kong (sadly that route is now gone) in Premium Economy and it was as good as some business class offerings from other airlines. I have flown Cathay from USA to China mainland and Hong Kong in both economy and business and their service was excellent. A colleague from HK recently flew home with BA from London and she felt it was fine but prefers Cathay.

We have stayed in old town Macau, not one of the high rise gambling type hotels. Loved Macau, different vibe to Hong Kong.
Used to go there every second weekend about twenty five years ago. There are two islands linked by causeways to the Macau main island. Beaches, holiday atmosphere, portguese food so thats where id go (though obviously they may have changed a bit in 25 years !)

A colleague from HK recently flew home with BA from London and she felt it was fine but prefers Cathay.
We hated breaking our journey to Hong Kong with a stop in Abu Dhabi. Hot, stuffy, crowded, manic airport. I don't want to break my journey in a middle eastern airport again, unless it is a well recommended airport.

We were wondering about flying non stop from London or a European airport to Hong Kong. Is a 14 to 17 hour direct journey better than two 8 hour legs with a few hours layover in the middle?

We hated breaking our journey to Hong Kong with a stop in Abu Dhabi. Hot, stuffy, crowded, manic airport. I don't want to break my journey in a middle eastern airport again, unless it is a well recommended airport.

We were wondering about flying non stop from London or a European airport to Hong Kong. Is a 14 to 17 hour direct journey better than two 8 hour legs with a few hours layover in the middle?
I used too use etihad all the time for multiple trips a year and also got fed up with them( covid was the nail in the coffin really ).
Munich,Zurich or Amsterdam is handy enough followed by the long 14hr flight too HK.
Price wise Lufthansa is pretty good.

I am leaning toward this. Amsterdam is a busy airport so it would be between Munich or Zurich.
Flying to a European airport first means you could be hanging around London or Amsterdam or similar for your connecting flight.

Flying with one of the mid eastern airlines, you are in the air from the get-go on a large plane and putting miles/hours behind you while others taking the European route are still sitting in an airport.

Planning a similar trip myself and I would be interested to know how good the half way airports stack up. I have read that Dubai is absolutely huge and getting from your plane to arrivals is an exercise in itself. Then you have the long walk between gates. Doha seems to be a smaller airport with all check-in gates in the same terminal building?

I am leaning toward this. Amsterdam is a busy airport so it would be between Munich or Zurich. Does Helsinki merit?
As Munich is quiet small we have 1:10 mins lay over.
By the time you get off the plane and onto the next gate your time is quite tight.
I’ve never travelled via Helsinki so cannot comment on it.

Flying to a European airport first means you could be hanging around London or Amsterdam or similar for your connecting flight.

Flying with one of the mid eastern airlines, you are in the air from the get-go on a large plane and putting miles/hours behind you while others taking the European route are still sitting in an airport.

Planning a similar trip myself and I would be interested to know how good the half way airports stack up. I have read that Dubai is absolutely huge and getting from your plane to arrivals is an exercise in itself. Then you have the long walk between gates. Doha seems to be a smaller airport with all check-in gates in the same terminal building?
Dubai and Abu Dhabi are so large in a lot of cases you have too get a bus from the plane too the terminal.
Qatar/kuwait are just as big & busy,Kuwait being slightly less.

Back