best method for handling money while travelling?

Chris2006

Hi, We are currently planning to go away for a month with a week in four different countries (Fiji, New Zealand, Australia and Thailand). As we are not frequent travelers my question is what the best and safest way for us have our money? Taking into account bank charges etc. (Travelers cheques, credit card, ATM card????) Your help is very much appreciated.

Re: best method for handling money while traveling?

Travellers cheque is safetest as ur name is printed on it..no one else can use it in case u lose it, credit card would be the next best thing, take into account of exchange rate and ease to use. but do beware of card fraud etc. only use the card at large store like.

"Best" can mean different things - e.g. most convenient, most cost effective, most secure etc. This issue is covered in several existing threads. My preference for non € zone travels is using a preloaded CC for cash withdrawals and topping up via online banking as I go since this is one of the most cost effective ways to access money. Inside the € zone an ATM card (with Cirrus or something similar) works fine and the charges are the same as at home.

I second ClubMans response. If you are going to any of the islands in Fiji or even Thailand you will find it difficult to use travellers cheques.

I have been advised not to go the preloaded CC method as the amount preloaded on the CC is not protected / insured? Is this correct information?

Depends on the terms & conditions of your card. Mine say nothing about excluding cash balances from protection. However I would exercise caution in terms of not transferring all the money in one go but topping up (allowing for delays in clearing the money from current to CC account for example if applicable) as you go.

Back