Health Insurance Best maternity plan

Housebuyer2015

Hi
I am currently on simply connect. I can claim €400 back on maternity consultants. We will be looking to TTC in the next year please God. I am having some gyne health problems at the moment which mean I want to go private on my next pregnancy.

Is there any plan out there where I can claim more than €400 back from maternity consultant fees?
I am planning ahead in case I need to wait the 52weeks maternity upgrade!

Thank you

There MAY also be a 2 year pre-existing waiting period, unless maternity is different

how much is your policy at the moment? it might not be worth the increase for an additional €100 back on consultants fees. don't be afraid to call around all the maternity hospital private rooms and ask for prices. I called a few and found big price differences. A seen an amazing OBGYN in the Rotunda for €2500, I could claim €500 back from VHI and €400 on the med one. Which helped to bring the overall costs down. I went semi private on first baby and fully on second, I was so happy with level of care and appointments. its a great luxury to be so well taken care of in pregnancy if you can afford it. Best of luck with TTC.

I am on laya simply connect. I am covered for everything in the hospital. It's the consultant fees I claim €400 back. The consultant I am seeing at the mo for gyne is €3k in the coombe I think. I would like to stick with her all going well.she was in mt Carmel before. I did domino on my first which was fine but I know I won't be accepted in the scheme nor do I want to go down that route. It's brilliant if you have no issues.
Renewal not till Feb. Don't even know when we can start ttc but I am hoping it will be within 18 months.
Clara may I ask who you saw in rotunda.

I think maternity is 52 weeks waiting

I think maternity is 52 weeks also, I happened to upgrade my policy last time mid pregnancy and they did pay out the higher day to day benefit of €500, instead of €400. I seen Dr Sharon Cooley in the Rotunda, she was so fantastic and so caring. I've found a lot of consultants can be very matter of fact and you really need something caring and understanding when your expecting. she delivered baby and came to see us twice a day during my hospital stay. I think top benefit for consultants fees is €500, you are doing well getting the €400 back. so nice having your own room as well after delivery.

Thank you Clara. I will keep her in mind. Never looked at private before so don't know which hospitals have the most private rooms etc.

I am on laya simply connect which is around €1090 per year as I pay monthly so have an extra 3%.
I think I should stay with laya in case I need fertility which they give €1k towards. I am hoping I won't need it though. Everything all up in the air at the mo. I am off work so have time to look into it now rather than after Xmas when I have to renew!

Is €500 the max any health insurance gives towards Mat consultant fees?

Last edited:
Back