Best hotel we've ever stayed in! Portugal

BillK

Just back from a week in the Monte da Quinta Resort in Portugal.

Great hotel with our suite (It's all Suites in main hotel) having a large sitting room, a kitchen with better kit than we have at home, a main and a guest bathroom. Balcony was about 25 feet by about 4 ft 6 inches.

Food was buffet based but there were steak nights, Portuguese nights etc.

Free bus down to the beach but it was a comfortable 15 minute walk if you were so inclined.

It must be well known in Ireland as there were many Irish guests.

Highly recommended!

Including flights and transfers it was £1800 (sterling) for one week half board for Mrs K and me. It was expensive but I felt it was worth it.

I have just booked three nights in Holland in a city centre apartment including flights for two return, for €300. I understand that everyone is different but I reckon I could squeeze 5 or 6 city breaks in to what Bill spent on his holiday. I don't need luxury just somewhere clean and central.

I keep a daily eye on the airline prices until they fall within my range. I have noticed that they can change throughout the day. I also use Booking.com, not to book but because they have great pictures of their hotels/apartments and a great Google map. I then use www.hotelscomparison.co. or Trivago and also the hotel/apartment website. Oftentimes I email the apartment owner and negotiate a price. Works nearly every time. It all takes time though.
Having a half dozen possible destinations on the go at the same time means that at some stage one of them will fall in to place, so you are not chasing one all the time.
I use Tripadvisor a lot. Reading the forums and the reviews. There are plenty of people out there who are only delighted to offer help and swap information. I also contribute to the forums. There are a few people on Tripadvisor that I know will help with certain destinations.
My best ever three day break was to La Rochelle. Flights and hotel for €150 return for two people. But that was back in the day when Ryanair had 1c flights...remember them! Ibis hotels offer three nights for two if you travel over a weekend on certain hotels in certain destinations. All great fun.

Back