Best block construction methods

You dont have to, but it is a 10 year structural insurance type thing. The builder has to be homebond registered though... they dont accept direct labour builds AFAIK.

Another form of insulation in a cavity I heard of but I don't think it has been done,

Would it be possible to construct the inside leaf leaving wall ties hanging out, then spray on the inslation to the outside of the inner leaf and then construct the outer leaf of block work.
Advantages: increase air tightness.
Disavantages: you would have to construct inner leaf to first floor level, then spray it, place the concrete floor then construct the outer leaf to first floor level. Then construct inner leaf to roof level spray it and then continue the outer leaf to roof level,

Meaning you would have to bring the spray on insulation contractor on site twice to insulate the house.

i dont think theres a certified system for this yet.... is there???
are you referring to icycene??

I'm currently looking at ICF as the best build method but very interested in this 'traditional' way of achieving a well insulated house and have not ruled this out. It would be good to see what the best construct is (price obviously being a factor).

Madbuilder and all, page 3 of this post will give you other combinations that Syd looked at that can be used to achieve good u-values: http://www.askaboutmoney.com/showthread.php?t=67603&page=3

The big issue with block build is just how much attention to detail your builder will give. It's ok on paper but a building site is another thing.

I don't think it is a certified system, what do you know about icycene, bother in law say's they do insulation for attics, a warm roof deck I think he called it.

Hi Ollie

I am going to be building my own new house using the ICF (insulating concrete formwork). I am a bricklayer by trade and this method of construction is so quick and will get me a higher energy rating than traditional building methods. It is also draught proof and fire resistant. If you need more info on this system that I have chosen let me know.

hi barneymc

The system that I have chosen is made in Ireland by AMVIC so is recognised by Homebond and has Irish Agreement Board and BRE Certificates. Not all ICF systems have these.

Hi
I am about to build a house with 100mm block Inner and outer with 150mm cavity with pumped full insulation. Builder suggested adding 35mm insulation board attached to Inner wall. Am I going overboard on the insulation ?

How do you calc the BER rating ?

Back