Best and worst designed buildings in Ireland

micmclo

I don't think we've done this before :)

What I like
Galway-Mayo IT
New courts building in Dublin
[broken link removed]
Belfast City Hospital. Some hate it but I lived in Belfast and it grew on me, city would miss it if it was gone :)

What I dislike
[broken link removed]
[broken link removed]
[broken link removed].
American Embassy

[broken link removed] is beautiful but County Hall is an eyesore
Maybe Ireland is getting worse?

That's enough from me
Put up your nominations :cool:
Your list of fame and your list of shame

Why can't we add pics on AAM?

[broken link removed] shockingly bad eyesore on Kill Lane. The picture doesnt do it credit, it stands alone and just makes the area look ugly.

I dont know if its still there, but the Braun Factory in Carlow was awful as well.

Phibsboro Shopping Centre is AWFUL!!!

Ugly a hell but I can't condemn it!
I've fond memories of using it as a base one bank holiday weekend back in the early 70's...
:D

My God that's one ugly building!

I'd add Liberty Hall in Dublin.
Ugle on the outside and ugly on the inside though it scores for having such an ironic name!

The Glucksman in UCC is a stunning building. Also in UCC, the Science building is the worst abomination in the college.

[broken link removed] shockingly bad eyesore on Kill Lane. The picture doesnt do it credit, it stands alone and just makes the area look ugly.

I dont know if its still there, but the Braun Factory in Carlow was awful as well.

Phibsboro Shopping Centre is AWFUL!!!

I like that building on Kill Lane!

Commissioners of Irish Lights in Dún Laoghaire is lovely
http://www.openhousedublin.com/index.php/tour/commissioners-of-irish-lights1/

Might find a few more on open house

I think the kip of a hotel in galway looks great against the blue sky. Doesn't seem like salthill at all, more like somewhere in Cuba.

I like GMIT but think it needs a bit more space in front of it. Cork city hall is lovely too.

I don't like the rest of the buildings in the OP at all.

I like Cork Opera Hall too http://www.flickr.com/photos/infomatique/5744598075/.

I usually have a coffee across the street when I'm down there and it's a nice spot to relax.

Does NI count?

This building in Derry is very nicely designed.

It was short listed for a prestigious prize in 2010.

[broken link removed]

You see it from Waterford though I'm unsure if it belongs to the cats or to the deise

Either way, the abandoned hotel need to be demolished or reopened, one or the other. Not just left to rot

http://farm5.staticflickr.com/4088/5084374415_15c6b772e5_z.jpg

The Ard Ri - once Waterford's most prestigious hotel with great views over the quay.

Now so derelict it had to be covered by a massive tarpaulin for the Tall Ships festival.

There was some great graffiti on the entrance - " you can check out any time you like but you can never leave "

I think the kip of a hotel in galway looks great against the blue sky. Doesn't seem like salthill at all, more like somewhere in Cuba.

I was thinking it looked like something from the former East Berlin

What about the apartments on Merrion Road- Elmpark I think - Ugly buildings overcrowding the space. Elmpark

Wouldn't get my vote. I like them :eek:.

There's an interesting looking building (Seán O'Casey community centre) in East Wall, when viewed from the front. Clad in green with round windows of differing dimensions.

When viewed from the other side, it's an ugly hulk of pre-cast concrete. It's a pity the architect ran out of imagination, or money.

The Ard Ri - once Waterford's most prestigious hotel with great views over the quay.

Now so derelict it had to be covered by a massive tarpaulin for the Tall Ships festival.

There was some great graffiti on the entrance - " you can check out any time you like but you can never leave "

Used to be Jury's Waterford at one stage as well. I have fond memories involving a bottle of champagne spot prize and the jacuzzi there.

The Courts building looks completely out of place to me. Nothing wrong with the building itself, but it just doesn't fit there. I went past that glorified pill-box on Kill Lane over the weekend. Again, looks way out of place.

My local Dundrum Town Centre is a bit of a monstrosity, but seems to fit well into its surroundings. They made clever use of the sloping site, with exits to ground at all three main levels.

Back