Best Airline to Fly Business With - Virgin / BA / Air France / KLM

flossie

Hi all,

Pricing up different long haul flights at the moment and wondering what the differences are between them when it comes to flying Business. I have flown economy with Virgin a fair bit, and find their customer service great, very welcoming, and my single experience with BA was also very good. But in terms of comfort for bed, facilities on board, lounge access etc. what are your opinions?

Flight is varying by up to €1000 (Virgin and BA most expensive), but happy to take a more expensive option if it means i can be comfortable, get work done etc. on the way.

Look forward to the replies,

Floss.

There is not a lot between them, Virgin and BA have a fully flat bed, whereas KLM and AF have an angled flat bed. All are fine mid range buisness class products. If it was my money I would not pay €1000 extra for Virgin, BA unless there was drastic differences in timings.
AMS is a easier airport to transit than LHR or CDG so that would also be a factor.

Thanks Soy, that's useful to know. Never transitted through AMS before, normally go through LHR just because it's closer, and Virgin and BA hub.

Last edited:
Did you try Swiss through Zurich, they are probably the best Biz class in Europe. Actually most of these airlines have lots of info on their biz class on their websites

Thanks Soy, that's useful to know. Never transitted through AMS before, normally go through LHR just because it's closer, and Virgin and BA hub.

Schipol was voted the 2nd easiest airport globally to transfer through (TBH I cant think of which was no 1 but it must be close) In the travel magazine in the Sunday Business Post had a great article basically saying Schipol is everything that Heathrow isn't - compact, walkable etc.

I also read that KLM have a new/improved business class

FWIW

Pete

KLM Business Class is second rate compared to Air France even though they're technically the same company. Having said that, I've found AF to be touch and go when it comes to customer service in Business, as a woman I've found the cabin crew to be more attentive to the males more than 50% of the flights.

I agree with soy, Swiss are a class above. Have only flown them in business once but look forward to next time!

Thanks for the info. I priced up flights with Swiss, but they were extortionate. I could get a good deal going out with Lufthansa and back with Swiss, but the stopover times weren't the best. Have decided to go for Virgin (pending Director's approval!). Too keep cost down a bit I am flying standard Aer Lingus flight the night before to LHR, visiting a friend for dinner in London and catching my main flight the following day, then coming back to LHR and getting a standalone flight back to Dublin. Apparently Virgin and BA are our preferred carriers, plus i can get free car hire once in destination.

Thanks for the input guys, really appreciate it.

. Have decided to go for Virgin (pending Director's approval!). Too keep cost down a bit I am flying standard Aer Lingus flight the night before to LHR, visiting a friend for dinner in London and catching my main flight the following day, then coming back to LHR and getting a standalone flight back to Dublin.

I am surprised that you get a better price by having seperate tix for DUB-LHR and the Virgin flight. Flights originating in UK have a £170 APD tax which would not apply to a itinerary starting in Ireland. Normally it is a good bit cheaper to start in DUB and connect to Virgin on a single ticket.

Anyway, I highly recommend getting to Heathrow early so that you can take full advantage of the fantastic Virgin Clubhouse (think it is open from 7am onwards). Its great, with spa, ala carte dining, hair salon, bar, library, pool table etc. It is one of the best airline lounges anywhere. Its very easy to spend 4-5 hours here if you want to maximise the experience.

heres a review of it inlcuding pics http://boardingarea.com/blogs/onemi...in-virgin-atlantic-clubhouse-london-heathrow/

The food in the LHR clubhouse is high standard restaurant fare. Its better than that served on the plane so many choose to do their eating in the lounge especially on night flights. Check out the virgin website for the menus. Also since you mentioned that you fly virgin economy a fair bit, you should sign up to the virgin flying club. Earn enough points and you will be able to use the clubhouse even when flying economy with virgin.

You should also have access to the Virgin arrivals lounge on your return, very nice to have a shower after a long haul flight. Makes the last leg back to DUB so much easier.

I am surprised that you get a better price by having seperate tix for DUB-LHR and the Virgin flight. Flights originating in UK have a £170 APD tax which would not apply to a itinerary starting in Ireland. Normally it is a good bit cheaper to start in DUB and connect to Virgin on a single ticket.

Anyway, I highly recommend getting to Heathrow early so that you can take full advantage of the fantastic Virgin Clubhouse (think it is open from 7am onwards). Its great, with spa, ala carte dining, hair salon, bar, library, pool table etc. It is one of the best airline lounges anywhere. Its very easy to spend 4-5 hours here if you want to maximise the experience.

heres a review of it inlcuding pics http://boardingarea.com/blogs/onemi...in-virgin-atlantic-clubhouse-london-heathrow/

The food in the LHR clubhouse is high standard restaurant fare. Its better than that served on the plane so many choose to do their eating in the lounge especially on night flights. Check out the virgin website for the menus. Also since you mentioned that you fly virgin economy a fair bit, you should sign up to the virgin flying club. Earn enough points and you will be able to use the clubhouse even when flying economy with virgin.

You should also have access to the Virgin arrivals lounge on your return, very nice to have a shower after a long haul flight. Makes the last leg back to DUB so much easier.

Thanks for that info Soy, the flight was nearly €1000 cheaper getting standalone flights DUB - LHR. I couldn't understand it either.

I think i am a little sad in that i am lookign forward to utilising the lounge at LHR, getting hair done will be great. I tend to get to airports quite late, and spend as little time as possible there, so being able to relax before the flight will be gerat, and refreshign for the flight back to DUB will be ideal.

I am already with Flying Club, i joined when i bought my RTW ticket - all Virgin partner flights, so have 100,000 or so. Not a huge amount, but handy to have at the same time. Company have a guaranteed silver scheme which makes check-in a bit more bearable as i can use premium economy check in, with less queues.

Back