Bergamo - Milan transfer

Markjbloggs

That nice Mr O'Leary has some very tempting fares at the moment, one that particurlarly caught my eye was to Bergamo. Anybody know what the transfer time/cost to Milan is like?

Unfortunately Ryanair's flights land in Bergamo in the late (October) evening which can be a bit useless for onward transfers. Hotels are expensive in Bergamo. You can get a single bus ticket from Bergamo airport (at kiosk in arrivals) to the train station in Bergamo for about €1.80 single. This bus drops you outside the train station and the journey takes 20 minutes or so.
You can book your train to Milan from here [broken link removed]

There are also buses that will transfer you from airport to airport within the Milan region.

Bergamo is a jewel, especially the upper city. I urge you to read all about it.

I have never been appealed by Milan but that's a personal opinion. Personally, I'd stay in Bergamo for a couple of days and pop down to Milan for a day's sightseeing -though, frankly, I don't think there are that many sights that would excite you.
And, although Laramie's right about Bergamo hotel prices -especially weekends when they can be quite full- Milan's ain't that cheap either.

Laramie's also right about the drag of arriving late - Ryanair arrives at different times of the eveing depending on the day. But even at the earliest time of 20.00 it could mean that you don't get to your hotel until 22.00. The coach transfer from the airport to Milan centre(station) is 60 mins.

Totally agree with Oldnick - Bergamo is great and the Upper Town - Citta Alta is a beautiful old walled town. Have visited Milan from there and was not all that impressed by it - very crowded and really expensive. Have stayed in these apartments www.bebbergamo.it which are quite reasonable - L'Eccelsa is just inside walls of town and you can walk to everything, L'Ambiziosa is also nice and in walking distance too though not quite as central. Luca is the guy who owns the apartments and is very good to deal with via email, and has very good english. If weather is nice a short drive away is Lake Iseo - an unknown small lake popular with Italian tourists [broken link removed] Sarnico is a lovely little town on the lake. I believe you can also take the bus there.

I walked around Bergamo only last week in the newer town and it was like a ghost town. Nobody about and nothing to do. We had arrived in on a late Ryanair flight before travelling onwards to Lake Garda and had chosen a hotel near the train station for our overnight stay. I have been to the Old Town before and it's stunningly beautiful. I would suggest doing as butterfield and Oldnick says and stay in or beside the old town, it's a fairly tough climb to get to the top if you don't take the bus or vernicular train.

Back