Bereavement Leave

InfoSeeker

Hi,

I have looked at the Oasis site and also googled this but cannot find any definite guideline as to an individuals entitlement to bereavement leave.

It seems to me that it is standard practice that 3 days paid leave is given when a spouse, parent, etc passes away but it seems that this is purely at the disgression of your employer.

seems to outline the statutory entitlements clearly enough to me. Depending on your contract of employment you may be entitled to additional non statutory leave in this context.

Bottom line is that there is no statutory entitlement. Unfortunately force majeure leave is not really appropriate as it is for cases where an employees presence is urgently required to CARE for a dependent relative; mourning is not provided for.
However, MOST employers take a reasonable attitude. This varies from typically larger employers who will have a codified list with differing allowances for differing degrees of close relative to smaller employments where things are dealt with as they arise. In general the Irish tendency of respect for the the dead prevails.

Back