Bench Planes- Clifton, LN and Anant?

Carpenter

Any other fine woodworking tool enthusiasts out there? Askew70 has already kindly posted some really good web sites where I've been looking at Clifton bench planes- a little Christmas pressie for myself! I've also thought about buying a cheap Anant smoothing plane, has anyone any experience of this budget Indian tool makers? Also I onder does anyone have any experience of using "hock" plane blades- are they good value for money?

I have a replacement Hock blade (and chipbreaker) at home, waiting to be put into an old Stanley No.5 which is itself waiting to be properly cleaned up and tuned (I'm in the market for a 30-hour day if anyone has any to sell - 24 hours never seems to be enough!). I went for the Hock on the strength of very favourable comments that I read about it on various websites. It certainly "seems like" a quality blade, but as I haven't even applied the blade to wood yet don't place any value in that view.

There is some mention of various alternative blades here which might be useful. It seems generally like several of the notable brands of replacement iron are considered to be of a similar standard.

I've replaced the blade in a Record jack plane (no.5) with a Clifton blade and chipbreaker. The quality of the Clifton is hard to beat and it takes a super edge and ploughs through the work without chatter. However I'm sure I paid about £50 for the plane in Goughs a few years ago, whereas the Clifton blade and breaker cost about £70 online! Crazy!

Back