Belturbet, Co Cavan on the river Erne.

vjoc

Considering buying a Section 23 property in Belturbet, Co Cavan on the river Erne.

Anybody got any advice/options/experiences of the area?

Tks

Re: Belturbet

Belturbet is a nice spot. There are a lot of new builds along the river. i suppose depends if you intend renting it, living in it at a later stage, how much rent would you get as i assume you are relying on fishermen and tourists.
the Harbour Inn Public house and restaurant at the bottom of Beltubet is fantastic. great food in the restaurant upstairs and great lunches in the pub. there is fantastic house for sale just down the road from this pub (not mine or a relatives) but i have been in it. i thinks its around 450,000 (big new 2 storey) group of four houses built by a quality builder.
currently Sean Quinn's lorries drive through the town constantly which is a pain and takes away from the town big time but i believe there is a by pass in the pipeline to remove the heavy traffic.
is it the water that is drawing you to the area or have you other reasons ?
suggest you really shop around as i say there are a lot of places currently for sale and there are some fantastic houses for sale in the county of Cavan as a whole and the prices are quite attractive.
also, the Beltubet festival should be on soon, worth your while visiting for it. pigs racing down the street, fancy dress, shop that sells nice paintings, loads of pubs in belturbet, big bands playing all evening, dancing etc.
c u there ! my kids love it !

Ageed, Belturbet is a lovely town. My sis lives in the next town ballyconnel. be great if they bypass it

Thanks for the info Lorna.

Just want a getaway pad from Dublin and love the water.

I'd be interested on your opinion of the property/location.

www.daft.ie/130311

Cost is 295k, furnished with berth.

Thanks

yes, i would go for it. of course, you are paying extra for mooring rights, that would be expected. i do believe houses near the water will always be a winner. people are prepared to pay extra for this. when the royal canal is finally finished, you will be able to travel right down the canal from dub to the shannon. how good will that be ? i have some friends in ireland who are boating mad. they spend all their holidays on their boats cruising the waters of ireland. one friend recently paid 450,000 for a run down cottage with mooring rights not far from belturbet but in a very nice quiet spot. seems a lot of money to me but he can afford it and thats what he wants ! go for it i say if you can afford it and it is going to give you years of pleasure.
have you ordered your yacht yet, i believe there is a waiting list ! i will be in belturbet on 16 Aug for a week (have to see the inlaws) so will look these houses up just to be nosey.

Thanks Lorna,

Here's another one to check out nearby....

[broken link removed]

€495k furnished. Berth another €40k.

Riverrun are very expensive, but Foalies Bridge look like they are good value. I looked at Riverrun 2yrs ago and they were just about €310k...serious hike in price since then

Hi there

Dont buy in Riverrun very poor finish house and once the builder gets the money nothing is done to sort out your problems. A friend bought there last year and got stung big time. Was told that a new road was gonna be put down last year and so far nothing just a bog lane for a road if any car comes someone has to reverse down the lane. Same with a hotel and golf course, the builder told my friend that he was building a hotel onsite and that has now gone by the wayside as the site is for sale and also there was a big promotion about ian wosenan and a golf course he was to design, my friend has since found out that there is no planning permission for a golf course. We have since got to know one of the guys who works there and he has told us there is problems with the water, esb, sewarge and that alot of the residents who bought two years ago are trying to sell as they are sick of been messed about. One women paid 100000 euro more for a house of plans, than the release price for the houses either said of her, she is since taking the builder to court.
My friend was blinding by the expensive brochure for riverrun and false promises.

hi there
i live in cavan town and belturbet isnt that great of a town. I would buy a section 23 property in tarmonbarry outside longford as the area is lovely and there are some gret pubs and places to eat and its only 5 mins drive from longford town and good road all the way to dublin. i grow up in the area and its lovely. im living in cavan town and trying to get out of the area as its not great

well if you visit tarmonbarry and find its not for you and your not really too bothered about being near water, then visit Keenagh. some nice houses for sale on www.daft.ie and it is half an hour from Mullingar, half hour from Athlone, 10 minutes out of Longford Town.
Places Of Interest in Longford

1 Tarmonbarry
2 Clondra
3 Lanesborough
4 Barley Harbour
5 Newtowncashel
6 Newtowncashel
7 Saints Island
8 Corlea Bog (heritage site)
9 Keenagh Village (walk down through Mosstown towards the royal canal at Coolnahinch)
10 Abbeyshrule
11 Ardagh Village

and when you are in Tarmonbarry, pop into the Purple Onion or Keenans for a bite to eat and then you can quiz the locals on the area.

I know Belturbet very well and I agree with the earlier posters. Foalies Bridge good, River Run bad. All the locals have been hearing rumours about sewage etc problems with River Run, and it looks terrible from the river. In contrast I think Foalies has some families living in it so houses there have better resale value. It's a good bit from the town, about three miles or so, but it's a really nice area. The river around there is fantastic too. The mouth of the Ballyconnell/Ballinamore canal is literally around the corner, or you can keep going downstream to get to Lough Erne. The town itself is pretty good, there's a lot of pubs and restaurants in the town and in nearby Ballyconnell. And yes, they're bypassing the town, it should be done in the next couple of years.

Hi,

Let me start off by saying that I have a vested interest in this topic as I purchased a house in Riverrun last year - I only came accross this thread when a potential renter started asking about sewage problems...

I purchased the Riverrun property as a long term investment having looked at a number of tax based developments in Cavan including Foalies Bridge. I chose Riverrun because I liked the houses ('different' architecture, modern & spacious, own mooring etc), it is close to Belturbet, and the setting is peaceful.

We have no problem whatsoever with water, ESB or sewage. I cannot comment on planning for the golf course, but work on it appears to be ongoing at the moment.
The access road is indeed narrow, but I understand that plans are in place to widen it and personally I found the road out to Foalies Bridge to be worse as even though it is a bit wider traffic travels much faster on it and visibility is very poor due to turns and high ditches.
Again, in relation to the view from the river I can only imagine that it doesn't look great. There is still some construction going on and it has yet to be landscaped. Let us see what it looks like when it is finished.

Finally, I can add that all of our paying guests really loved the house and the setting.

San Martino

I agree with post above stay away from riverrun. I know from a very reliable source about the problems with sewarge esb, etc. Its not worth the hassle of buying there as the majority of people have problems with the builder. The so called golf course has not been granted planning permission as it has only been applied for in the last few weeks. The sewarge is flowing into the river and most people in belturbet are sick of it and want something done about it and they are also sick of the other problems that particular development brought to the area.

Back