Belfast for the weekend

dodo

Wife going to belfast next weekend with 2 friends none of them were born in Ireland just to add, what are the do,s and dont's and what should they make sure to see while there, Thanks

dodo: if your wife and two friends are non eu they might be asked for identification on the return journey. the gardai stop traffic ( especially busses) at random as they have a special garda immigation unit based in dundalk. the best way to go to belfast from dublin is by aircoach but (nat) it's more expsive at the weekend but still great value. think you have to change at the airport but you can check that one out. parking in belfast is expensive enought. City Hall is worth a visit.

Its a great city and there are no more do's and dont's than for any other city. Obviously I would avoid asking people you have just met their religion and political beliefs but that is the golden rule for everywhere!

dodo: if your wife and two friends are non eu they might be asked for identification on the return journey. the gardai stop traffic ( especially busses) at random as they have a special garda immigation unit based in dundalk. the best way to go to belfast from dublin is by aircoach but (nat) it's more expsive at the weekend but still great value. think you have to change at the airport but you can check that one out. parking in belfast is expensive enought. City Hall is worth a visit.
No all from Finland,

I lived in Belfast for over 6 years and I think it is a fantastic place for a weekend. The city hall and the Ulster Museum are well worth visiting.

If you want to get a different perspective, you can get a 'Black Cab' tour which brings you around areas of the city affected by the troubles.

For a night out, the south side around Queen's University is the best; several clubs and pubs, you will be spoilt for choice and the beer is cheaper than in the south but need to be careful of not going out in the wrong area as a strong Southern Irish accent may cause you a bit of aggro. Avoid the west area i.e. west of the Westlink by-pass and any where you see red/white/blue paving stones and you will be fine.

Belfast is a great place. Lots of good pubs and some great indian restaurants....try the Moghul on Botanic avenue. Otherwise just avoid the obvious things like running up to the Rangers Supporter's Pub (which is actually quite close to the night life area between the uni and city center) on Sandy Row and screaming "Up Celtic"

if you haven't already sorted out accommodation [broken link removed] have some excellent deals going throughout the year, 2 nights B&B and a dinner for very reasonalble prices.
(i've no affiliation, just like to find good value available a short drive away)

Back