Beko Fridge/Freezer not working after hubby stuffed stuff in freezer

Eithneangela

I was wondering is there any way we can fix our Beko Fridge/Freezer which although there is power coming to it (light comes on when you open the fridge door), is not working. Yesterday, hubby jammed a pizza into the top part of the freezer, and the poor freezer screeched like a banshee! Today, we discover that neither fridge nor freezer is working. Any suggestions?

You could try downloading the manual from their website and read through the troubleshooting section to see if it gives any advice.

Tx, Sue Ellen. I'm an anal keeper of documentation, so I had the total delivery package with all the hints and tips. Nothing helpful there. I'm just wondering whether it's worth trying to get an electrical/fridge engineer out to see if he/she can diagnose the problem, magically have the spare part, and then fix it - or just give up on the machine!:(

I keep all documentation which arrives with household purchases, mainly electrical goods. For every fridge, TV, computer, oven, kettle, toaster, grill, mixer etc. etc. that I have purchased I have the instructions etc. that arrived with it. :eek:

I keep all documentation which arrives with household purchases, mainly electrical goods. For every fridge, TV, computer, oven, kettle, toaster, grill, mixer etc. etc. that I have purchased I have the instructions etc. that arrived with it. :eek:

Me too. I sometimes still have them after the appliance is gone!
Sometimes, depending on age, cost, etc, it works out better to replace, unfortunately, by the time you pay call out charges, if the appliance cannot then be repaired.

Try taking a look at the back of the freezer section near the top. In our frigde/ freezer there is a fan behind a small grid cover. If the pizza was pushed in to this the cover may be preventing the fan from rotating. Pull the cover out a bit to give the fan some space, close the door and listen to see if it starts working again.

. Yesterday, hubby jammed a pizza into the top part of the freezer, and the poor freezer screeched like a banshee!

And I thought Mr.Bronte was bad on appliances. Next fridge feezer you buy you need to ban your hubby from using the freezer bit.

How old is the machine, how much is a new one, how much is the minimum a repair will charge for a call out?

I was wondering is there any way we can fix our Beko Fridge/Freezer which although there is power coming to it (light comes on when you open the fridge door), is not working. Yesterday, hubby jammed a pizza into the top part of the freezer, and the poor freezer screeched like a banshee! Today, we discover that neither fridge nor freezer is working. Any suggestions?

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but I would suspect that your hubby fractured the evaporater tubes and the refridgerant gas has leaked, hence the " screeching like a banshee".

If this is the case its time to give it a decent buriel as its not economically viable to repair.

Thanks all. Just had a local repair guy have a look - lo and behold, he found some of the original packing which had not been removed on installation. This caused a critical component to rust because the defrost wasn't working properly since installation (7 years!). We never noticed a problem. It'll be about €150 for the new part but we're going to get it anyway (a similar new fridge will cost about €300. It was apparently 'coincidental' that the problem arose just when hubby was jamming a pizza into an already full section. He feels totally exonerated, I've lost any credits against future mishaps on my part! :)

Best of luck with it,I used get the repairman out as well but after a few occasions when the machines died a few weeks/months later I just take the hit and buy a new one now.

Just had a local repair guy have a look -

It'll be about €150 for the new part but we're going to get it anyway

How much did the repair guy cost, does the 'about' 150€ include VAT, how much will the actual repair cost?

We don't know yet what the total cost will be - the repair guy, who works for a business in the local town (so that will include VAT) just mentioned a figure of €150 to fix the problem. He did not charge for the initial visit, where he took out a part which automates the defrost process, thereby leaving us with a working fridge/freezer until he returns with the part. So far, so good :)

Hi Bilton - tried all that before calling in the experts. Happy to say that fridge/freezer now working again with replacement freezer fan part. Whole job cost €110 which included 2 visits by handyman - the first to get us limping along and the second to install the new part. All now working well. And yes, VAT paid.

Back