Being told go home no work

dariuscork

Hi,my wife is a childcare worker paid just above the minimum wage,story is due to lack of kids when she drives 20 miles to work each day she is often told to go home with no pay!would she be better off on a 3 day week and can she then sign for a further 3 days?,she is there 2 years would she be better off looking for redundancy?,mortgage repayments are getting on top of us now,any answers will be appreciated.

She can sign on for any day that she is unemployed but it probably would be better to talk to employer about the situation at the outset. Certainly, to have her drive 20 miles without knowing if there is work for her is not on. employer should regularise her arrangements, even if it's to put her on short-time working and give her a letter to that effect for SW. In any case, she should make a claim on any day she is unemployed; she needs to be unemployed for 3 days in any 6 (Mon-Sat) to get SW. Alos, check keypost for qualification criteris; doe sshe have 104 cons. paid and enough in 2007 yeear to get JB?

Does the chreche not charge parent per week/month? I thought that creches did regardless of whether they sent their kids in or not. If this is the case your employer is being paid to mind children that are not in attendance. So why are you not seeing some of this money?

Exactly, I have to pay my creche whether my child attends or not. The weeklu cost has to be on the first day that the child attends in the week for whatever number of days that the child is booked in for.

Does the chreche not charge parent per week/month? I thought that creches did regardless of whether they sent their kids in or not. If this is the case your employer is being paid to mind children that are not in attendance. So why are you not seeing some of this money?

Exactly, I have to pay my creche whether my child attends or not. The weeklu cost has to be on the first day that the child attends in the week for whatever number of days that the child is booked in for.

No idea whether it's the norm but I know of one creche ( owner is a relation of my wife ) in the south east that charges daily in arrears, payable at the end of the week.

This seems very harsh. For the first six months I paid weekly upfront. After that I paid weekly in arrears. As regards the OP's heading, I would have thought that the wages should be paid regardless.

Back