Being messed around by employer

DWK

My husband was recetly petitioned by his employer who asked all employees if they wanted to a) be made redundant, b) continue on in his current role, or c) transfer to a different dep't.
He chose redundancy and since then, his dep't head has come back to him saying he doesnt need him in his department but that he will not be getting redundancy, but will be transferred to a different department instead. He has no skills or experience which would make him suitable for a role in the other dep't.
The company has already made several people redundant including almost an entire department.

Is he within his rights to refuse to move to the new department. How should he ask for clarification as to whether his position is being made redundant or not?

If anyone has factual advice I would appreciate it, including any recommendations for a emplyment law solicitor as I think we may need one.

Your husband is not out of a job. If the move to a new area is reasonable, he has no grounds.(reasonable is determined by courts not individuals and can change on a case by case basis) If I were him I'd be thankful for still having a job. There is another option available. RESIGN.

most people are transferable in their job so they dont have much choice,depends on the contract they have its normally stated in it.

Back