Beginning of the end of the household charge?

truthseeker

RTE News:

Clare County Council has passed a motion that no further letters demanding payment of the Household Charge should be sent out by the council until such time as an appropriate database has been put in place.

The issue was described as a 'fiasco' and a 'public disgrace'

The motion was passed following recent controversy, where many homeowners who had already paid the charge were sent letters reminding them to pay.

In other instances letters were addressed to individuals who are deceased.
The issue was described as a "fiasco" and a "public disgrace".

A separate motion asking that the Local Government Management Agency - charged with collecting the charge - be disbanded was also passed.

A statement from Clare County Council said that the council was operating on instructions from the LGMA.

They added that the letters were sent based on a database compiled by the LGMA.

The council said householders who have queries or who have already paid the charge and received a letter should contact the Central Bureau at Lo Call 1890-357-357.

What, a few local councillors make populist noises to attempt to ensure the safety of their own positions, and it's the beginning of the end..?

So will I be refunded in some degree for the €100 that I've already paid, on time. Or have I just been scammed - despite have all the anti virus stuff on my PC - scammed by the numbskulls in Gov.

It is the beginning of the end for sure.

Because of the inability of one council to administer payments ? I think you're over-reaching ;) ! And wasn't Clare the council that tried to link payment of the charge with third level grants ? Hardly the exemplar for efficiency :rolleyes: !

I don't honestly see how they are going to actually make people pay. The courts can't handle all the cases.

Id like to know how much money has been spent on letters to people who have already paid, on court cases and a rough estimate of costs of court staff time, council staff time etc...

It would be interesting to see a breakdown of how much has been spent trying to collect it (including the cost of the website) versus how much has been collected.

Even small items like 4 individual posted receipts for people who signed up to the 4 direct debits cost money.

It was very hastily thought out however I think it is a tax that is here to stay. I have always felt it was a very unfair tax, home owners paying for local services when employed people living in Social Housing using the very same local services getting off scott free. It was doomed for failure from day one

They will have to plan out the property tax a bit better and knock the €100 off the first bill for those of us who have already paid.

I have always felt it was a very unfair tax, home owners paying for local services when employed people living in Social Housing using the very same local services getting off scott free.

But its a property owners tax - public and private tenants are not liable for the tax because they are not property owners.

Incidentally tenants will be liable for the water charge and are liable for the refuse charge in the same way they pay for other direct consumption utilities such as electricity, gas, phone, subscription tv etc.

But its a property owners tax - public and private tenants are not liable for the tax because they are not property owners.

Incidentally tenants will be liable for the water charge and are liable for the refuse charge in the same way they pay for other direct consumption utilities such as electricity, gas, phone, subscription tv etc.

Well then the name should be changed to make it a local tax and every one should contribute something.

It goes to show what people power can achieve. Whoever paid this tax to begin with must be kicking themselves.

the problem with irish people is that we often forget what people power really can achieve!.....our forefarthers did'nt.

theyll draw a line under the household charge soon and the new property tax will come in in 2013 and itll be done right from the very beginning.

Theyll do their homework, find out who is due to pay it and send you a bill. Doing it the otherway around like they did with the household charge was doomed from the very start

and those who paid will be able to offset it against the new tax, and those who paid will have kept a record(I wonder why) so wont be in the same mess as the instigators.

makes me weep and see the money we pay them.

i think anyone who has pa[d already will have two chances of ever getting their money back!! i guess the local councils will have a good christmas party this year though!.........opps..sorry nearly forgot, that 100euro is to be used to pay for local services!

In Cork it's going towards their fleet of brand new council vehicles - look out for them in January!

Back