Bed bugs... Please help!

Sara Campbell

I'm living a nightmare at the moment. A couple of weeks ago myself and my daughter have been waking up with bites nearly every day. They seem to leave my husband alone...

I have tried nearly everything except get the professionals in. I thought I might be able to get on top of it myself but it doesn't seem so. I know they're extremely resilient buggers. I've been stripping all the beds daily, vacuuming and steaming mattresses and beds every evening. Washing linen at 90 degrees. Threw out duvets and pillows. Got carpets professionally cleaned. Been laying down baking soda, cinnamon, Talc ect, hoping to kill them. Even put the legs of the beds in containers full of oil to stop them climbing up the into the beds. I have ordered Diatomaceous Earth and waiting for that to arrive.

I'm at my wits end. I am still to actually find one of these pests. We have searched the mattresses and the lining of the bed but can't visually see anything. It's so frustrating. I did seem to have it under control for a few days and now this morning, we have woken up with more bites.

Any other advice? I know I should probably get the pros in but I'd imagine they are going to be very costly. Anyone have any idea how much they charge?

Thank you.

what makes you so sure its bed bugs have you actually seen any? have you been treated for scabies? strange your Husband isn't getting bitten.

my GP told me I had bed bug bites and I was going crazy looking for them never found any. I went to see a dermatologist I discovered I am allergic to gluten and it was giving me an awful itchy rash on my arms and legs.

Can you put the bed linen out in the sun? I've heard that will help with the linen at least.
Put in mattress protectors that are hypo-allergenic, waterproof so nothing can get through.

Any other advice? I know I should probably get the pros in but I'd imagine they are going to be very costly. Anyone have any idea how much they charge?

Strange that after all that effort that you never actually saw a bug, mine were mostly resident behind headboards and would make their way to the bed during the night, but in my hours of hovering, stripping, boiling etc I did frequently see them on or around the bed, or in the seams of the mattress’s. You should also find little blood specks on the bed clothes from when they bite you.

If you never seen them and there are no blood specks, then it is probably not bugs.

I fought these bugs for 8/9 months, you can find the adults and get rid of them but I believe they lay their eggs deep in the mattress fibres so will not hoover or steam out, you think the problem is solved, and they appear again.

I eventually got Rentokil who took maybe 90 minutes for 3 consecutive weeks spraying all beds, mattresses, headboards, sockets, skirting’s etc, that was about 4 years ago and cost around €500, others had quoted similar prices over the phone.

A lot of money, but it was worth it, no problems since.

Hi Sara

You have my sympathies for your very stressful situation.

It is worth getting a professional In for your sanity.

Best of luck getting rid of them.

Last edited:
I have had them I may still have them at home. Streaming was my best deference but you need to do it right. They have to get a blast of stream for 20 to 30 sec to kill them. I bought a bug prove cover for the mattress which you leave on for at least 6 months. They can live without eating for a long time. Stream every where within 3 or 4 meters of the bed. Take all furniture apart at steam that. They like wood & natural fibers best. It'S a war and you must battle for a few hours at a time. I did not see then for 4 months and my battles stopped. They came back. Heat treatment is the best way but very pricey. Problem is they could go too the house next door and come back at any time. They will also play on your mind which does not help but just be as clean as you can for a few months and keep the bed away from walls or any thing else they could climb up on. I also put sticky tape around all legs of the bed with the glue out so another way to stop them.

Keep fighting the war is long but you will have a very clean house :)

Back