becoming bitter at work

puretone

Good afternoon all,

Hope you are all having a lovely time wherever you are.

I would be really grateful if you could share your thoughts on my situation.

I started my job back in Nov 2007 and became a qualified accountant the following year August. Things were alright. We normally have a payrise together with a descretionay bonus in March every year. I wasn't entitled to a pay rise in March 2008 sicne I hadn't been working for a full year. I received a pro-rata bonus though.

Unfortunately, the head office has imposed a group-wide salary/bonus freeze in year 2009, meaning my qualification didn't make a single difference on my salary. I wasn't happy at all so I spoke to my big boss. He was very apologetic and sympathetic but he told me firmly that he couldn't do anything about it for now as this was across the board. He said he would try at every board meeting but he couldn't guarantee when he could give me a pay rise. He said I deserved one and he wanted to give a nice one in March 09.

Since then my scope of work has grown a lot and so have my responsibilities. It was exciting initially but I began to resent it all. With the thought of not getting what I deserve in mind, I was unable to motivate my self. My direct boss is now teaching me how to do some regulatory returns she used to do, instead of getting the buzz from learning something new, I am becoming very bitter and angry and it is upsetting me. I am already doing a lot to make her life easier honestly.. They almost panic when my holidays approach.

Apart from the salary, I've been enjoying my job and the people I work with. I consider leaving, however as we all know the economic situation hasn't really picked up yet and I would rather get this sorted within.

The next board meeting is scheduled next month. If I ask my big boss if there is a possibility that my working conditions are to be improved within this year, how would it sound..? I have to go about this sooner than later before I've become completely depressed.

I hope you could lend me your wisdom on this matter.

Thank you.

puertone

I sympatise with you Puretone but I think you will find that with the economy the way it is the majority of businesses were unable to pay increases to salaries and I know personally I seem to have taken on a lot of extra work mainly because of the recession and it's affect on the business I work in. It's hard to motivate yourself and in my case I have a team also to encourage and motivate. But you know what I thank god everyday I have a job to go to and I am not queuing up for social welfare or finding myself having to take a massive paycut just so someone will employ me. Things will pick up and I hope it's soon!

Puretone, I sympathise - it's incredibly frustrating to be in your situation. Do you have a set of mid/long-term goals for where you would like to be, or have you assumed that you will stay in this company long-term? What sort of career progression would you like to follow? In the words of the hackneyed interview question, where do you see yourself in 5 years time?

I ask, because in similar situations, it's helped me to visualise where I would like to be/what I would like to be doing (even if it's not immediately possible) and see whether there's anything in my current situation that can be regarded as a step towards that. For example, the regulatory returns that you mention - rather than looking at this as something extra that you're not being paid for at the moment (which is absolutely true), can you reframe it to yourself as a valuable skill that will be to your advantage when the market picks up, either in your current company or elsewhere?

I'm not trying to be Pollyanna-ish or dismissive of the effort that self-motivation takes (or of the importance of being financially rewarded for your work!), but I do recommend trying to articulate your goals, and then breaking them down into smaller steps - even if there is no current improvement in your working conditions, if you feel you're working towards something else for yourself it may help.

Edited to add:
I am already doing a lot to make her life easier honestly.
Re-reading your post, if you look at this not as making your boss's life easier but as making yourself ultimately more employable and desirable as an employee, this might fit with goal-setting. Do it for yourself, not for her.

Last edited:
Im curious as to what terms you were taken on as. For example in my job we take on cashiers at basic rate, they progress and do assessment they get relevant payrise, go on to deputy manaher, they get relevant payride and so on. We have a payfreeze in operation where there will be no anual payrise but if someone progresses or gains more responsibility they get a rise. The company I work for is struggling but they can not deny basic rights. So if it is part of your written terms of employment they you are entitled to it, if its not then its hard luck for you. However i wouldnt be too eager to do everyone elses jobs!

First of all, Look for a new job that pays what you are happy with but do not tell anybody. If you are offered a job then tell your boss that you have been offeredd another job that pays better. If they want o keep you they will offer you a pay rise. If they're not pushed they won't.
Either way you will increase your salary.

Do not moan or whinge to your boss as this will not get you anywhere. While you are in your current role act as if you are enjoying it as people are not inclined to help somebody that complains alot.

Your boss seems to want to help you so work with him in the bad times and he might be be able to reward when the good times come around again.Then again if he is a member of the board I'm sure he would have more influence to get you an increase so could also be taking advantage of you.

Good afternoon all,

Hope you are all having a lovely time wherever you are.

I would be really grateful if you could share your thoughts on my situation.

I started my job back in Nov 2007 and became a qualified accountant the following year August. Things were alright. We normally have a payrise together with a descretionay bonus in March every year. I wasn't entitled to a pay rise in March 2008 sicne I hadn't been working for a full year. I received a pro-rata bonus though.

Unfortunately, the head office has imposed a group-wide salary/bonus freeze in year 2009, meaning my qualification didn't make a single difference on my salary. I wasn't happy at all so I spoke to my big boss. He was very apologetic and sympathetic but he told me firmly that he couldn't do anything about it for now as this was across the board. He said he would try at every board meeting but he couldn't guarantee when he could give me a pay rise. He said I deserved one and he wanted to give a nice one in March 09.

Since then my scope of work has grown a lot and so have my responsibilities. It was exciting initially but I began to resent it all. With the thought of not getting what I deserve in mind, I was unable to motivate my self. My direct boss is now teaching me how to do some regulatory returns she used to do, instead of getting the buzz from learning something new, I am becoming very bitter and angry and it is upsetting me. I am already doing a lot to make her life easier honestly.. They almost panic when my holidays approach.

Apart from the salary, I've been enjoying my job and the people I work with. I consider leaving, however as we all know the economic situation hasn't really picked up yet and I would rather get this sorted within.

The next board meeting is scheduled next month. If I ask my big boss if there is a possibility that my working conditions are to be improved within this year, how would it sound..? I have to go about this sooner than later before I've become completely depressed.

I hope you could lend me your wisdom on this matter.

Thank you.

puertone

Firstly what kind of salary are you getting? Is it reasonable & can you live on it? What is the company like, you said you enjoy the work and interaction with your colleagues. Is the company "secure"? If the positives outweigh the negatives I'd treat the current situation as temporary. Try to look on this as an opportunity to get some valuable experience. Remind your bosses as pleasantly as you can about the pay rise but don't whine. Everybody hates a whiner even if their complaints are justified.

Back