Bathroom tiling

msmyth

Have done a search and can't find a thread about this. When you hire in a tiler to do a bathroom floor, do they usually disconnect and refit the toilet for you or would I have to do that myself? Also, I want to get get underneath the kitchen appliances tiled, is it up to me to move the appliances out of the way or generally does the tiler do that?
Thanks!

it depends on the tiler. he mite get his own plumber or do it himself. itll cost u about 200 anyway to move them. its ur responsibility to move appliances but then again it depends on the tiler

It has been mentioned a few times here before, but make sure you agree this up front with your tiler. Some may take the easy way out and just tile up to fittings.
Leo

it depends on the tiler. he mite get his own plumber or do it himself. itll cost u about 200 anyway to move them. its ur responsibility to move appliances but then again it depends on the tiler

thanks for replies- €200 to move the toliet?? I've been told that it's quite simple to do, at that price I'll be risking doing it myself!

move them whatever u do anyway. if they tile up to the fittings it will look very bad due all the grout

Yes I agree, it would bug me everytime I looked at it if it's not done right! Have googled how to remove the toilet and it doesn't seem too big of a deal- although tomorrow you might see me posting a thread on how to deal with a flooded bathroom!

just be aware that when you disconnect the loo that you watch out for "anything" that may still be in the pipes.

ooh yuck! that hadn't occured to me, will flush repeatedly before disconnecting so

yes indeed. be careful with the tiler. i have had my new house tiled recently and its a disgrace. i wouldnt trust them as far as id throw them

if you decide to move the loo yourself, you need to be careful that when you put it back that everything fits properly. what i mean is, when they are installed, the pipes and whatnot are all measured to fit the toilet as it stands. If there is a variance in the height of the toliet, even by the width of the tile, the measurements can be thrown out slightly, and it can have an effect on the performance of the toliet, in terms of leaks, drainage, flush action etc.

My dad, who's pretty handy with that sort of thing, did it once, and swore he'd never do it himself again

Neither had that occured to me Kaner316, this is not sounding as easy as google made it out to be! It's also after dawning on me that the toilet is upstairs and the tank is downstairs meaning that there's a pump involved as well- okay this is all too much for my meagre diy skills to handle, am going to have to pay to get it done I think!

Back