Bathroom suite- updating

CharlieC

Hi

I want to swap out a classic 1984 Orange bathroom suite, and replace with a simple white suite.
I have read the key posts but am just looking for anyone who has done something similar and the labour cost involved.(I will source the suite myself).
or any recommendations on a company to to deal with

Btw, if I go for a model with side taps as opposed to end ones, I assume this will cost extra in the plumbing, again any rough estimates

Thanks in advance
Charliec

Just one thing to bear in mind, you will be limited on your choice of WC pans and matching cistern as modern suites will mostly be close couple suites which will not suit the older style pan (waste outlet location spacing is different). Try and go for a dual flush cistern or similar to economise on water usage.

If the individual pieces are going back in the same places as the original then its quite straight forward to install the new suite.

If you put in a new bath with side taps you might face a situation of having to bring the pipes to the new location. This could mean lifting floorboards or if you have tiles on the floor you might need hide them around the walls etc..

I know plumbers that will charge anywhere betwenn €200 - €400 for that kind of job.

Carpenter said:
Just one thing to bear in mind, you will be limited on your choice of WC pans and matching cistern as modern suites will mostly be close couple suites which will not suit the older style pan (waste outlet location spacing is different).

Can you still buy pans that are not close coupled, i.e. where the distance from the pan to the cistern is adjustable? I have a problem replacing a suite where the distance from the waste pipe to the wall is greater than will suit a modern toilet. The pipe can't move back to the wall easily as a joist is between it and the wall.

You can still buy pans to suit the older style (non-close couple) arrangement, you'll just be a little more limited in your choice- but this shouldn't pose too much of a problem.

Thanks Carpenter, yes I never even thought of this.

MY current suite has a cistern against the wall and is joined to pan by a pipe

Thanks for the reply

CharlieC

Back