Bathroom Extractor Fan Problem

maximus

Have an extractor fan in ensuite bathroom that is not removing the steam from the shower very well. Water starts to drip continuously from it halfway through a regular shower. The house is 2 years old. The probelm only happens in cold weather. I reckon the problem is
(a) the angle of the pipe from the fan to the roof is too steep and the condensation just flows back along the pipe;
(b) the fan is not powerful enough;
(c) the pipe in the attic should be insulated.

Since there are wires in the cover box of the fan, this problem could be a serious one.

Questions:
Have I any comeback with the builder who has left the estate?
Anyone any solutions?
Anyone know what else could be the problem?
Who would be the ideal person to sort the problem out?

Any responses would be greatly appreciated....

If this fan goes straight up to the ceiling than you should check where it goes at all. I have seen them ending in the attic instead of ending outside via a special roof tile. This could be against the building regs though I'm not sure about . At least it is idiotic to cover the roof in a vapour barrier and then blowing steam into it. If it does not end in the open then talk to the builder. Not only that cables could oxidise but the timber could start to rot, most modern houses have no treated timber at the inside any more.
The fan could indeed be to weak and the pipe should be insulated, preferable been made of flexible plastic and not of flexible aluminia. You need as well an air entrance for the fresh air going into the in suite to replace the expelled air, usually at the bottom of the door. No fan would manage to blow out air ad infinite if there is a vacuum created.

what might have happened and which happened to us is that the tubing in the attic had developed a bend (the supporting tread broke) and the steam turns to water at the bend and drips back down. this happens especially in the cold weather as the tubing would be cold.the tubing should be as stright as possible to the special roof tile..go up and check the attic...you should be able to locate it quite easily..and rectify the problem yourself by supporting the tube where it kinked....that should sort the problem straight away..the fans for

sorry i never finished...the fans for ensuites are fairly standard so i would think its the tubing..if you can't sort this out contact the electrician who installed the fan to see if he installed it correctly

Back