barbecue construction

edenjohnny

Hi, I am thinking of making a large garden barbecue , possibly Island type. I do have a large a=mount of 6" solid concrete blocks I can use,and I was told I could construct the barbie using them without mortar as they are very heavy. Any suggestion as to the fire/charcoal and grill arrangements please..

I was told I could construct the barbie using them without mortar as they are very heavy.
Who advised this? Sounds dodgy - stack the blocks up and hope that they never shift/fall? If you do this then keep kids and pets at least away from it!

Also - would regular blocks near the cooking area not crack due to the heat?

hi clubman, the six inch blocks weigh 28 lbs each.maybe they should go on the flat.If the Island was big enough then the fire wouldnt be so near them. But I used to have a barbecue made from red brick, and that lasted . But they are fired arent they.

I think concrete blockwork would look pretty awful as a material for a BBQ; red brick would be my preferred material. I think ClubMan's observation regarding mortar is a valid one. It might be a good idea to spend €10 or so on a book of BBQ/ Garden Feature designs (these types of books are usually quite inexpensive) for some ideas on design and materials. I see drawbacks to these "semi-permanent" structures- they get very dirty and are difficult to clean, attract vermin and insects etc, can look unsightly after a while and if the grill or ash pan burns out/ rusts it can be a headache to source replacements. Just a thought...

Back