Bank writing to co-owner at address he has moved from

no_moolah

Hi guys

Just looking for some advice. I have an investment property with my ex who i no longer have contact with. He has disappeared off the face of the earth as far as me and the property are concerned. The property went into arrears as a result and the bank is writing to us both on a regular basis about the arrears etc.

At one stage both myself and my ex lived at my parents address but then we broke up, he moved out and i havent really heard from him since. I first told the bank that he was no longer living there approx 2 years ago however they continued to write out to him at my parent's address.

My parents were returning all of his mail marked "not at this address" but they continued to send more letters so a couple of months ago i wrote a long letter to them advising once more that my ex no longer lives at the address and that I don't know what his current address is. I told them that any post they send is not reaching my ex because I dont know where he is. I also told them that i will not be held responsible for any consequences that arise as a result of him not getting the letters. They wrote back however saying that they will not stop sending out the letters to that address until my ex changes the address himself. Obviously this is not possible as I cannot get in touch with him.

My parents are getting really annoyed with the letters they are receiving and I want to know are the banks allowed to do this? Should I refer this to the financial ombudsman?

Would appreciate any advice.

They have to notify him of anything relevant and can only do so to the address they have on file, only he can change the address. I don't really think there is anything they can do about it.

Try getting your parents to send a letter to the complaints department of the bank - google to get the correct address. It should be just a few sentences - explain that their daughter (you) have notified them twice that Ex's name no longer lives at their address and give dates of the letters you sent. That could they please stop sending letters as they do not have a forwarding address for Ex's name.

If the bank continue to send the letters, I would forward his to his parents address if you know it. It won't take too long for this to annoy his parents and they will forward the letters on to him.
The chances of him contacting the bank to give his current address are probably very slim, unless urged by annoyed parents!

I have a similar problem to yours,, my bank have asked me to get power of attorney over my ex who emigrated, they keep sending mail to her old address, thankfully the person living there is cool with it and just writes"return to sender"on the envelopes and puts them back in the mail every few months"

Have the bank offered any alternative arrangements ?

I have a similar problem to yours,, my bank have asked me to get power of attorney over my ex who emigrated, they keep sending mail to her old address, thankfully the person living there is cool with it and just writes"return to sender"on the envelopes and puts them back in the mail every few months"

Have the bank offered any alternative arrangements ?

It's gone way beyond that at this stage. They've appointed a receiver and I don't have anything to do with it anymore. I was always in touch with the bank but their attitude about my ex was that it was my problem and they weren't willing to help at all so I decided to only give them the rent. I wasn't putting anymore of my own money into it when my ex was getting away with paying nothing.

They weren't happy with just the rent so they appointed a receiver.

It is really annoying with the letters cos I don't even live there anymore. I'm not even in the same country, otherwise I would take over the issue with the mail.

I wrote to the bank lodging a formal complaint but it did absolutely nothing. One of the other posters recommended getting my parents to write in - that might work.

Back