Bank refuses to set up direct debit on foreign Eurozone account

Thanks everyone. I'll try another politely worded letter first (in case it's s training issue) and see how it goes. Will update once I hear more.

Good news. UB seem to have relented after another letter requesting the DD to be set up or a final response letter outlining why it cannot be set up. My German account now shows the DD due in a couple of days (that's something I don't see in banking365...the DD only shows up when it's been taken. My German bank always notifies me in advance, as I believe the SEPA rules mandate).

Good news. UB seem to have relented after another letter requesting the DD to be set up or a final response letter outlining why it cannot be set up. My German account now shows the DD due in a couple of days (that's something I don't see in banking365...the DD only shows up when it's been taken. My German bank always notifies me in advance, as I believe the SEPA rules mandate).

Good work :) I wonder why they objected in the first place.

Btw Ulster Bank write to you when a SEPA DD is first registered with your account.

Well done for persuing this. Hopefully, Ulster Bank will learn lessons from this that will help others.

Thanks folks. I assume it was a training issue and that it was never against bank policy.

By coincidence, I was speaking to someone else today who is having problems with SEPA direct debits and Ulster Bank. The person was trying to set up direct debits with Danish utility companies via her Ulster Bank account.

The person said that some worked and some could not be set up by Ulster Bank.

It seems that UB are having some SEPA DD issues. I wonder if it is down to UB systems or just staff training.

That would be the other way around though, right? UB current account rather than UB being the DD originator (as in my case). It could be that the originator(s) in Denmark are the problem there.

Denmark is in SEPA but SEPA only applies to Euro denominated payments AFAIK. The payments to the utilities will obviously be in Danish Kroners. That might be a problem in itself?

It is a training issue, you have to feel sorry for retail staff in Ulster Bank, the stuff that should cascade down isn't getting through where the often meaningless stuff that does not benefit customers and should be filtered out does, pity it is not a conspiracy theory...

That would be the other way around though, right? UB current account rather than UB being the DD originator (as in my case). It could be that the originator(s) in Denmark are the problem there.

Denmark is in SEPA but SEPA only applies to Euro denominated payments AFAIK. The payments to the utilities will obviously be in Danish Kroners. That might be a problem in itself?

It shouldn't be as the Irish bank would simply apply the days exchange rate to the Kroner amount.

Regulation 260/2012 Article 9.2 makes it perfectly clear that payee's (in this case Ulster Bank) cannot dictate the member state in which a payment account must be located. Go back to them and quote this regulation.

The SEPA rules don't mandate that your bank notifies you in advance. The Creditor, the company debiting your account, must advise you

The SEPA rules don't mandate that your bank notifies you in advance. The Creditor, the company debiting your account, must advise you
Ok, interesting. I presume UB use the same payment file for a DD being drawn from a mortgage holder's Irish account as for a mortgage holder's German account (that is after all part of the point of SEPA, that the same payment files are used in the whole zone)...but I never saw advance notice of the DD in BoI's 365 portal...but I do see it in my German bank's portal.

Ok, interesting. I presume UB use the same payment file for a DD being drawn from a mortgage holder's Irish account as for a mortgage holder's German account (that is after all part of the point of SEPA, that the same payment files are used in the whole zone)...but I never saw advance notice of the DD in BoI's 365 portal...but I do see it in my German bank's portal.

Under the SEPA Schemes direct debits must be in the debtor bank 5 days before the debit is due for debiting. Your German bank obviously use this time to advice of the pending debit.

Ulster send you an advice for the very first DD from a new originator. After that nothing.

Do any of the Irish banks do this?

I would say not. Prior to SEPA direct debits only arrived in the debtor bank on the day before they were due to be debited, SEPA changed this to 5 days but its now proposed to revert back to one day over the next year or two.

Back