Bank rate changes notifaction

anaconda

Question....Do banks have to publish their rate changes in national news papers TV etc before they hike up their rates (fixed rates or variable) ?

I have my mortgage with ulster bank and I rang this morning to fix my mortgage because I heard the standard variable rate is going up. When i called I was told that the fixed rate went up on the 4th of Feb. Obviously I'm raging cause I missed the better fixed rate. I was sure when rates go up it has to well published before hand.

I had a good rant at the manager about the fact the standard variable was well published because people have no control over that but I was told that the fixed rate change was announced on the 4th on went up on the 7th which was over the weekend. Sneaky!

I was also told that banks don't have to publish rate increases before hand only after the rate goes! I'm sure the girl on the phone was right but I just thought the central bank places these type of conditions on banks....

Raging and wanted to ask the question!

Question....Do banks have to publish their rate changes in national news papers TV etc before they hike up their rates (fixed rates or variable) ?

I have my mortgage with ulster bank and I rang this morning to fix my mortgage because I heard the standard variable rate is going up. When i called I was told that the fixed rate went up on the 4th of Feb. Obviously I'm raging cause I missed the better fixed rate. I was sure when rates go up it has to well published before hand.

I had a good rant at the manager about the fact the standard variable was well published because people have no control over that but I was told that the fixed rate change was announced on the 4th on went up on the 7th which was over the weekend. Sneaky!

I was also told that banks don't have to publish rate increases before hand only after the rate goes! I'm sure the girl on the phone was right but I just thought the central bank places these type of conditions on banks....

Raging and wanted to ask the question!

They have to advertise if Standard Variable rates change (before hand). Don't think they have to do it for fixed rates because it doesn't affect existing coustomers.

Back