Bank proposing ridiculous conditions to allow me sell a house in NE

gears303

I own a house that i have been trying to sell for some time.
The asking price is 2/3 of the remaining mortgage, but i want to sell and am willing to pay off the remaining debt.
I received an offer for the asking price, and asked my bank if they are willing to sign off, and move the remaining debt to a loan, on standard mortgage variable rate.
They agreed to give me a loan at mortgage variable rate, but insist I put up cash of 1/2 of the debt in escrow, to guarantee i will pay the loan. This amounts to over 30k.
I don't have savings anywhere near this, and when i told the bank officer i was advised to borrow it from a relative.
I have perfect credit rating and no other loans. I have never missed a mortgage payment.
I have a full time job and my yearly salary is in excess of the debt, but it would take me a long time to save 30k, while covering the full mortgage repayments.
I thunk this is totally unfair and they are holding me to ransom.
Requesting i put up 30k of cash against a 60k loan, and forcing me to borrow in the process.
I don't know what to do and would appreciate any advice you can give.

The banks aren't thinking when it comes to stuff like this. One person I know of has 2 buy to lets. Bank refused to let him sell both of them.

One was going to sell just above the outstanding mortgage amount and the bank were told all the funds would be used to cover outstanding debts.
Second one was going to sell below mortgage amount but with an offer to transfer the remaining amount to a personal loan over 12 months.

The unofficial reason given was that they just aren't interested in crystallizing any loses, even if in this case they wouldn't end up making a loss as the whole debt would be paid off.

I have perfect credit rating and no other loans. I have never missed a mortgage payment.

It's sad to say that this may be the problem. If you were in deep arrears, they would be writing to you telling you to sell your house or seeking to repossess it.

If you can't sort it out with them, then maybe stop paying the mortgage. Tell them that you are doing so to save up the €30,000. Stupid I know, but a last resort if you can't get anywhere with them.

GEARS303;

Make sure you keep a note/time/person you were dealing with in the Bank. It irks me for them to use the (relative)routine.

Suggest put in writing what you asked them to do . Do that in a factual manner not in an irate manner.
Do not stop paying the mortgage ,as there is little point in sullying a good credit rating.
You are in the (happy) position of having savings, so you have good cover on house repayments.

On the plus side , properties have stopped falling so maybe your (friendly) Bank might inadvertently be doing you a medium term favour!

I cannot overstress keeping notes on any Bank dealings .

Thanks a million to all for your suggestions.

I am getting married in the coming weeks, and the savings i speak of, are 10k on deposit in the same bank.
So, its not an option to place this in escrow or pay money off the mortgage - i would just have to borrow against the wedding at a higher rate.

Communication to date has been over phone. I'm going to write to the bank today so there will be a record.

Hearing the stories above, and the way they are handling this, just makes my blood boil!

Gears303;

Enjoy the wedding.

Dont get angry with Bankers , they are and were clueless , they are still in denial mode and know no other way ,other than the flawed mind sets that most of them cannot escape from.

Hi gears

I think that your letter will just go into the system.

You are much better off getting your solicitor to threaten a Section 94 application.

You are going to lose the offer on your house if you wait for the bank to respond to your own letter.

Brendan

The unofficial reason given was that they just aren't interested in crystallizing any loses

I have no advice for the OP, but agree with 'ryaner' that the banks are loathe to crystallise losses.

I owe 1.2 million, haven't paid a cent in capital back.. Only pay interest, even when they 'demanded' cap plus interest.

Nothing much they can do; have shown them a 'credit-line' statement from father-in-law that we'll be funded during bankruptcy in UK - if that's what we have to do to rid ourselves off these loans.

So, in truth, negative equity has been a big plus in our situation as they just have to put up with interest payments until property appreciates to equal loan.

Kine have you threatened Section 94?

Not yet Brendan - the negative equity is sizeable and I was hoping to have this dealt with before crystallising it. Having an unsecured loan (I can't service) where the Bank will get a judgement against me isn't ideal.

Gears303;

Enjoy the wedding.

--------------0000000000--------------

Thanks Gerry

Thanks also to Brendan, Ryaner, Kine, Breakonthru for your input and advice

I've written to the bank requesting an unsecured loan to cover the deficit. No response yet, but hopefully they'll be back soon. Buyers are waiting.

Update on the post:
I refused their original request for security on the negative equity and after 1 month they came back and asked me to fill in a standard financial statement and submit a proposal for the residual debt. It took a further 4 weeks for them to process this, before they agreed to the sale, on the condition they get the gross proceeds. I've appealed their decision and requested I pay them the net proceeds [the costs of Sale are about 5000 for engineer, auctioneer and solicitor fees], and pay off the residual debt over 5 years.
Negotiation seems to have paid off.
Thanks to all for your help and feedback

I keep hearing anecdotally of customers not engaging with Mr Bank .
But I keep hearing on AAM of Banks not engaging sensibly with customers.

gears303 , should not have been pushed into an understanding of how to sort things.Surely Mr Bank should have had the gumption/professionalism to aid him?

Again I see AAM,s good work/advice, doing for gears303 ,what Mr Bank should have done..

Back