Bank of IRL - Maximum a/c transfer of €500/day?

serotoninsid

Hi. Someone owes me some € and is trying to tell me that BOI only allow a maximum of €500/day.

He does have a personal (rather than business) account. However, that doesn't sound right. Can anyone give a definitive answer on this?

The person trying to send you the money should get clarification from their own bank.

Maybe he wants to transfer it to you in nine transactions for free banking.

I have the standard BOI current account and there is no such restriction for me. When setting up a new beneficiary using mobile phone verification, there is a transaction limit of €3000 but mailed verification is more than that.

Some times you can have a restriction placed on withdrawing money from an atm but never heard of it for transferring money. I would suggest you contact the bank he/she is using and ask an "in general" question about transferring money.

Last edited:
If his account is with BOI, then the limit is €20k a day, assuming he is set up
correctly

see attached
[broken link removed]

I had this issue a couple of years ago -as far as I can remember, when you first set up a new payee by phone they will allow you to make a payment there and then of eur 500 but to transfer anymore you need to wait until you get the activation code in the post a few days later.

this could be the problem - it should be a technicality that they can get around in a few days

Yes they state its 20k but thats not true a few months ago they changed this down too 5k.

They also changed withdrawel from bank account abroad (europe) down too 500 from 700.

Its a classic sign off a bank with liquidity issues but the 5k has been happening since the start off the year.

Thanks for the replies. As it turned out, it's a european bank thats being used - not BOI....but thanks for the input in any event.

If it is a European bank he may well be right. Wiring money around Europe is a grueller at the best of times and many of them have an annual limit of €3000 or so

Back