Bank of Ireland will not let me withraw from a/c by Credit Transfer/ EFT

I have several BOI savings accounts - including the Regular Saver Issue K - and the only way I can access that money is to transfer it first to my current account, which was also the case previously with KBC. So it appears to be standard.

Pity that BOI weren't more helpful - there must be a solution to this. I'd send in a formal complaint as that's always worked for us.
I called into another branch today. The lady was most helpful. She suggested an interpay form, a long firm in duplicate which was also suggested to me by two separate employees at BOI phone service but when I called into my own branch they said No, no, no and were quite nasty. I will see if this works as I'm to call in on Monday with ID. I have a recollection of filling this form out about 2 years ago and getting nowhere. The interpay form is more for a commercial type customer dealing with international transfers.

I agree with lodging a formal complaint as the bank has to follow up on it and provide you an explanation. Just for info I suspect your case falls under IBAN discrimination so it maybe worth looking that up.

IBAN discrimination is where an employer or company, such as a utility company, refuses to accept your SEPA IBAN for euro payments or direct debits. IBAN discrimination is not permitted under the SEPA. An Irish employer or utility company cannot insist you open or maintain an Irish bank account for euro transfers.

Banks must also follow it for sepa so they cannot block you setting up a payment to another EU IBAN.
Thank you fir that information. I had heard of IBAN discrimination but didn't think of it in my case where the branch are refusing EFT from their Regular Savings account. They are firing me to open a current account to transfer out electronically.

Can you open a regular deposit account - they call it “instant access demand account” (no charges) and transfer the money into that, and then onwards to N26 ?
They won't put a new demand deposit account on the Banking 365 online system/ app as I haven't a current account. This is a new policy they brought in about two years ago. Only historic Regular deposit accounts already on the banking 365 online system are permitted for customers without a current account.

This seems to be the issue.

When the account was in KBC, were you able to transfer to N26?

You have a savings account and not a current account. With a current account, you can do lots of things. With a savings account, you are limited.

Why don't you open a credit union account? You should not rely entirely on N26 as you may get cheques and will be stuck.

Then see if you can transfer to the CU account from BoI but I doubt you will be able to.

Then get a bank draft and lodge it to your CU account.

Brendan
Brendan,
I have multiple bank accounts.
I deal with EBS for my current a/c. I find the staff most courteous, a personalised service, but their online systems are archaic. I'm just dreading the day they are subsumed by AIB. Moving from BOI to KBC and KBC to EBS worked well for me to-date for my current a/c.
I have decided to move some money to N26 due to its attractive interest rate and the fact it's German gives me some peace of mind compared to the likes of Revolut. The N26 app is one of the best, excellent security features to lock cards prevent online transations and ATM. . I just hope they don't " freeze" the a/c on flimsy aml grounds but I can explain the source of funds and I'm not immediately reliant on the money.
I wouldn't make a complaint to the Financial Ombudsman about this BOI matter but it would be helpful to know if they were in breach of a code of conduct and point this out to them.
Having a current a/c with a full service bank is not an issue here but BOI are forcing me to open a current a/c with them, they suggested this and of course they would charge for the service all just to withdraw electronically. They would not open a demand deposit a/c and transfer into and out of that electronically as I don't have a current a/c with them and therefore they won't permit such ordinary deposit accounts to be on their online systems for customers who don't have current a/c. I would run a mile before I would ever deal with BOI again, I had many bad experiences with them. Many of their in-branch staff are just appalling to deal with.
Therir phone service is excellent I ring their Premier number and get instant access but maybe that's why they are so polished, some services now being subcontracted to India so that's gone down the tubes as well.

Last edited:
I wouldn't make a complaint to the Financial Ombudsman about this BOI matter but it would be helpful to know if they were in breach of a code of conduct and point this out to them.
This is not a new T&C it was the same with KBC. It was flagged in the switchover documentation as well. So I don't think you've an argument on those grounds.

If they were refusing to let you access your money that would be one thing but all they are doing is limiting your withdrawal options. Restricting some, more convenient, services to paying customers is a standard business model in most industries.

I had heard of IBAN discrimination but didn't think of it in my case where the branch are refusing EFT from their Regular Savings account.
I agree it's not IBAN discrimination when they are stopping you from transferring to ALL other IBANs.

I deal with EBS for my current a/c.
Given your cannot transfer money electronically to N26 (or any other account for that matter) then your best/only option is going old school. Walk in, get your cash/bank draft from BOI, physically lodge it with EBS then you can transfer it electronically to N26. You never been darken BOIs doorstep again... And from the sounds of it you'll be all the better for it.

But you don't have a full service current account where you can lodge cheques?

Then get one with the Credit Union and your problem is solved.

I don't understand why you are complaining about BoI not offering you an electronic transfer on a savings account yet you accept that N26 won't allow you to lodge cheques to a current account. Different account have different features.

Nothing changed since your move from KBC to BoI as far as I can see.

Brendan

Walk in, get your cash/bank draft from BOI, physically lodge it with EBS
This is exactly what i had to do in the end. After speaking to a few people in branch and on the phone. BOI tried to transfer it electronically via interpay, but EBS wouldn't accept the transaction.. something about ebs not being able to do international transactions.. At that point, i lost interest in the whole thing and asked for a draft, minus the 50c for the draft (of course!)

But you don't have a full service current account where you can lodge cheques?

Then get one with the Credit Union and your problem is solved.

I don't understand why you are complaining about BoI not offering you an electronic transfer on a savings account yet you accept that N26 won't allow you to lodge cheques to a current account. Different account have different features.

Nothing changed since your move from KBC to BoI as far as I can see.

Brendan
EBS do offer cheque lodgement but they will not annotate the statement with the source of funds eg ( BOI A/C...) in case Revenue ask me years down the line where did this lodgement come from and I can't remember. I don't like my current account peppered with large sums lodged from savings accounts. I like to keep things separate.

I wouldn't complain about N26 not accepting cheques when their ordinary current accounts are free.

Bank of Ireland should facilitate customers who don't have a current a/c with them by allowing a credit transfer.

I think they now will facilitate me with an " interpay " paper form to permit EFT transfer despite misinformation given by their ignorant branch staff.

This is exactly what i had to do in the end. After speaking to a few people in branch and on the phone. BOI tried to transfer it electronically via interpay, but EBS wouldn't accept the transaction.. something about ebs not being able to do international transactions.. At that point, i lost interest in the whole thing and asked for a draft, minus the 50c for the draft (of course!)
I hope Bank of Ireland " interpay" will work for N26. The form is more geared towards commercial customers engaged in international payments in foreign currency from my perusal of it.

Interpay just allows you to make a SWIFT payment rather SEPA credit transfer. Not sure why they would allow one and not the other.....

Just to give an update, I managed to successfully transfer funds out my Regular Saver Issue K at Bank of Ireland by completing an "interpay" paper form at another BOI branch. This is not possible to complete online unless you have a current account with BOI. The money was transferred within two days.
When I called into my own account holding branch, which is a full service branch, and asked for that intrpay form I was misinformed that this was not possible, that I must accept a draft and treated in a condescending and disrespectful manner.

Thanks to everybody for your input. My advice is don't take no for an answer from ignorant bank staff with a chip on their shoulder. These are the type they have in branch now to get you out the door ASAP unless of course borrowing or investing because that means €€€

Last edited:
Ex BOI staff here:

Very surprised at the idiocy of the branch staff you dealt with. All these interpay transactions are sent from branch internal accounts, and then when the payment is processed, the funds are debited from your own account. It even has a section on the form for the branch to insert the 999 account number to use.

I’d make a complaint about the branch service, do it online and it will be looked into.

Ex BOI staff here:

Very surprised at the idiocy of the branch staff you dealt with. All these interpay transactions are sent from branch internal accounts, and then when the payment is processed, the funds are debited from your own account. It even has a section on the form for the branch to insert the 999 account number to use.

I’d make a complaint about the branch service, do it online and it will be looked into.
I did complain. A branch representative rang me back to apologise. I only gave my first name and a work number. They were very eager to know my surname, both in the branch and when they rang back following complaint but wouldn't give them the satisfaction. The staff member said she had to check if " dormant" eventhough only transferred from kbc.
When I was in the branch I noticed a number of them in back room looking out at me including their caretaker ( who locks doors at close of business). I'm not paranoid but knew what was happening. I knew one of the staff had been talking about me to the others by the way they looked out at me at the same time. I had a similar problem in the branch a few months earlier and dealt with in a most ignorant manner. I'm not a difficult person but know when I'm being disrespected.
When I politely asked for the interpay form I noticed the " caretaker" positioned very close by listening in. I felt intimidated but said nothing. I wasn't acting in an aggressive or threatning manner but the way I was spoken to by official was quite bad, dismissive. I was slightly shaking or anxious after the encounter. I dreaded going in to that branch and I'm sorry I did.
When I walked out to ring banking 365 back I noticed caretaker moved away from where he was standing close by me as I spoke to bank official. I felt he was deliberately doing this. I felt intimidated.

I had been a customer of that branch for many years. I knew all the older staff by name. They treated my family and I like VIPs. Some of them were regarded as friends. We had alot of business with them. It's all changed now. The bank staff dont seem to have the professional calibre of the previous generation. You would be treated better by staff in Lidl. The skeleton staff in the branch are either just out of college and know very little about banking or are middle aged and appear disinterested.
I was very lucky I met a lovely older member of staff in another branch who helped me with the interpay. I could see she was interested in helping customers.
I deal with EBS now for my current account and am very happy with them. I would never deal with Bank of Ireland again.

Ex BOI staff here:

I did complain. A branch representative rang me back to apologise. I only gave my first name and a work number. They were very eager to know my surname, both in the branch and when they rang back following complaint but wouldn't give them the satisfaction. The staff member said she had to check if " dormant" eventhough only transferred from kbc.
When I was in the branch I noticed a number of them in back room looking out at me including their caretaker ( who locks doors at close of business). I'm not paranoid but knew what was happening. I knew one of the staff had been talking about me to the others by the way they looked out at me at the same time. I had a similar problem in the branch a few months earlier and dealt with in a most ignorant manner. I'm not a difficult person but know when I'm being disrespected.
When I politely asked for the interpay form I noticed the " caretaker" positioned very close by listening in. I felt intimidated but said nothing. I wasn't acting in an aggressive or threatning manner but the way I was spoken to by official was quite bad, dismissive. I was slightly shaking or anxious after the encounter. I dreaded going in to that branch and I'm sorry I did.
When I walked out to ring banking 365 back I noticed caretaker moved away from where he was standing close by me as I spoke to bank official. I felt he was deliberately doing this. I felt intimidated.

I had been a customer of that branch for many years. I knew all the older staff by name. They treated my family and I like VIPs. Some of them were regarded as friends. We had alot of business with them. It's all changed now. The bank staff dont seem to have the professional calibre of the previous generation. You would be treated better by staff in Lidl. The skeleton staff in the branch are either just out of college and know very little about banking or are middle aged and appear disinterested.
I was very lucky I met a lovely older member of staff in another branch who helped me with the interpay. I could see she was interested in helping customers.

Back