Bank of Ireland offer

PATMAC

My wife has a meeting today with the BOI they are offering:10% after 3 and half years if we deposit a lump sum of up to €24k, that we have in another account with them which is earning a poor return. No access to money or we forfeit the 10%, which is a drawback. Deal or no deal anyone? Deadline is tomorrow.

Is that 2.85% per year? You will get better than that e.g. 3% with NIB for up to 50,000 and you can withdraw money anytime you want (but you get less interest for that month if you withdraw).

No deal!

That "deal" doesn't even make it into the best buys list.

If you can afford to tie up the money for three years, the best rate currently on offer is:
An Post Savings Certificates 17th issue
3 Years 3.23% (equivalent to 4.30% because these are not subject to DIRT at 25%)

Or you could put €20K away with Investec 6 Months @4.04% ** Best 6 Month rate
1 Year @4.50% ** Best 1 year rate
(Apparently the deadline for this is next Thursday?)
...and keep the balance in a demand account like Anglo Irish Bank: Premium Demand (currently paying 3.60%).

Some good advise above pointing you to the best rates.

My wife has a meeting today with the BOI they are offering:10% after 3 and half years if we deposit a lump sum of up to €24k, that we have in another account with them which is earning a poor return. No access to money or we forfeit the 10%, which is a drawback. Deal or no deal anyone? Deadline is tomorrow.

More evidence awful treatment of customers by BOI again. They encourage you to lock your money away for 3 years at such a low rate and give you a deadline of tomorrow. Disgrace. :mad:

I use FREE banking with BOI and my salary goes in to BOI but then it's online banking and it's all transfered out. I get a sense of satisfaction from this every month.

fungus i have a high interest account with a.i.b but do not do any internet banking and mostly use my card for match tickets that's about it. Is this loosing me interest or worse costing me fees? your advice most welcome

i see in today,s irish independent that b.o.i are offering 7%gross for 2 years and you can access 50% of the funds. minimum of 20,000e.

7% gross = less than 3.5 per year... There is better in the market although this is much better than poor PATMAC was offered

Narkyhead,

I too have a high interest current account with AIB.

To avoid maintenance and transaction fees, each fee quarter you need to:

1. Use your AIB Debit Card to make a purchase, and

2. Make a debit transaction using AIB Phone & Internet Banking e.g. pay a bill or top up your mobile

To earn interest you have to make a minimum lodgement of €1,500 each month to your account.

I use FREE banking with BOI and my salary goes in to BOI but then it's online banking and it's all transfered out. I get a sense of satisfaction from this every month.

You'd get a better sense of satisfaction with Halifax; free & 7% interest on €1500 ;)

thanks joanne1 I did also top up my mobile and got an xtra 5e too. Just because it's friday....thank crunchie for that

fungus i have a high interest account with a.i.b but do not do any internet banking and mostly use my card for match tickets that's about it. Is this loosing me interest or worse costing me fees? your advice most welcome

The "high interest account" with AIB earns a small 1% and only on the first 1,500 EUR.

I suggest you look at the Halifax option (and the T&C's that come with it) if you want to maximise current account interest.

i see in today,s irish independent that b.o.i are offering 7%gross for 2 years and you can access 50% of the funds. minimum of 20,000e.

Interesting but not a market leader, Anglo offer 3.5% for the same product with no minimum. Strangely competitive for BOI.

- I would not say the worst but not the best either and certainly not the best for interest rates.

They are very close to "worst" in terms of giving customers a return on their money. For example, a lot of their on demand accounts pay a shocking 0.01%.

Like AIB, they take advantage of consumer inertia through their vast branch network.

Back