Bank Holidays and Day off

contemporary

I have a quick question, my GF's friend is a hairdresser, the shop she works in is open from Tuesday to Saturday and she works full time there all those days. She reckons that as Monday is a bank holiday she is entitled to a day off during the week (e.g. next tuesday) but her employer doesnt think so. Anybody know who is in the right?

provided an employee has worked at least 40 hours in the five weeks preceeding the public holiday they are entitled to either payment or a day off.

If is not a day you would normally work you are entitled to 20% of your normal weekly wage.

contemporary said:
I have a quick question, my GF's friend is a hairdresser, the shop she works in is open from Tuesday to Saturday and she works full time there all those days. She reckons that as Monday is a bank holiday she is entitled to a day off during the week (e.g. next tuesday) but her employer doesnt think so. Anybody know who is in the right?

as long as she works full time she is... otherwise every company in the country would just schedule people out of bank holidays...

I know someone in my company who works Tue, Wed, Thur. She is then granted 3/5 of all bank holidays...i.e. she gets is it 2/3 of total of the 11 bank holidays in the year

My understanding was that if you don't benefit from the B/H (ie: don't work that day), then you are entitled to another day of. If I work Mon, Tues and Wed, and you work Tues, Wed and Thurs then I have to work only 2 days that week, you have to work 3!! Surely thats an unfair system?

Havana said:
My understanding was that if you don't benefit from the B/H (ie: don't work that day), then you are entitled to another day of. If I work Mon, Tues and Wed, and you work Tues, Wed and Thurs then I have to work only 2 days that week, you have to work 3!! Surely thats an unfair system?

well thats why I understood that the way our company did it was correct...in both cases you'd get an extra 3/5 of a day off, or if you wanted to take the day if you worked Mon, Tue, Wed you'd have to top it up with 2/5 of a day of yoru own leave.

And my company tend to be extremely accurate in how they enforce correct laws.

In other words.....
Kildrought said:
If is not a day you would normally work you are entitled to 20% of your normal weekly wage.

I thought that pretty much covered it?

Back