Bank Holiday while working 3 day week

10michele40

I am going to be put on a 3 day week from next month on, working Mon, Tues & Wed. I've been in the company for almost 8 years, working full time.
Do you know what the legality is regarding weeks with Bank Holidays? Will I have to work 3 different days that particular week, Will I only get 2 days pay that week or am I entitled to pay for that Monday?

If the Bank Holiday falls on a Monday and you normally work Monday, then you will paid for the day - likewise for Tuesday and Wednesday.

If the bank holiday falls on a Thursday or Friday (for eg.. St. Patricks Day or New Years Day maybe!!) then you will get 1/5 of your weekly pay extra but will still work your normal three days that week.

Last edited:
As far as I know , you will be paid for the Bank Holiday by either your employer or the Social Welfare .
To qualify for a BH payment , you must have worked at least 40 hours in previous 5 weeks .

If you meet this criteria , your employer must pay you for BH ......otherwise the Social Welfare will pay .

Of course if you work the Bank Holiday , the SW situation wont apply and you will be paid by your employer under your employment contract

By the way SW do not pay you for public holidays if you have part-time work. That is the duty of the employer

Back