Bank cannot locate my loan account

PatrickJ

When I was out of work I was unable to meet the repayments on a personal loan I had with a foreign lender based here in Ireland. The loan went into disarray and in lieu was sent to every debt collection agency under the sun!

Some time on and I'm back on my financial feet again and want to pay this loan off so I called the company that is now a sort of collection company for this bank as its no longer operating here and they could not find any reference of the debt. They have been looking for over a month now but still no show.

Should I make contact with the original lender at their head office in the UK?

I owe a relatively large sum of money so I don't want this to come back and bite me 2/3 years from now hence why I'm anxious to source the original loan.

start by getting a copy of your ICB report. It will cost you €6. It will tell you if your debit has been registered with them and who by.

Hi Johnjay, only recently I ordered my report and could see who the lender was. The lender no longer operates in this country but has a a collection company here. The collections cannot locate it and so couldn't take money off me over the phone.

When I was out of work I was unable to meet the repayments on a personal loan I had with a foreign lender based here in Ireland. The loan went into disarray and in lieu was sent to every debt collection agency under the sun!
You may or may not be referring to BoSI/Certus. If so there would be no point in contacting BoS in UK as they have no records of any accounts previously held with BoSI. While I understand and respect your anxiety in addressing this facility there is very little that you can do if the current debt management company have no record of your loan. It is entirely possible that they have written off the facility! However they may well have taken out a judgment against you and you should get a search done to assess whether they have done so. If they haven't done this and your last acknowledgement of the debt is >6 years ago the facility is now statute barred and no action can be taken against you.

Back