Banger for crops

Clarelassie

Hi,

I moved into our newly built house in the country last summer. The closest neighbours farm is owned by a man who lives over 30 miles away and the farm is mainly farmed by his brother ( sheep, dairy, horses) - nobody lives on the farm anymore.
The exception is that the owner grows some crops there every summer and last summer I had the horrible experience of the banger ( just like a shot gun) going off every day between 20mins and 2 mins apart about 100-150meters from my house.
The owner is almost never at the farm. I do meet his brother and sons and when I complained to them, they turn off the banger and said they'll pass on the message to the owner.
However, when the owner next visits, he turns it on again.
I do not have contact details for the owner.

What are the legalities with him running the banger 24/7? It is definitely noise pollution. It has kept me and my children awake many nights. It has also annoyed other neighbours - but they would be even further away. I get on fine with the brother and his sons.

I can see that he is planting again and I would like to know where I stand before that awful noise kicks off again.

Thanks in advance as always!!

See Dept. of Environment guidelines http://www.environ.ie/en/Publications/Environment/Miscellaneous/FileDownLoad,1319,en.pdf (here). Chances are you'd need to take an action to the District Court. How favourably they look at your case is anyone's guess.

Thanks Leo for looking that up - will get onto the local authority and see what they say. Wouldn't like to go the court option if at all possible.

While you may have legal recourse it would be advisable to try and make contact with the owner before taking any action. Its is always best if neighbours can come to a compromise if at all possible to keep future relations pleasant.

I'm not 100% sure on this, but I do remember many moons ago (15 years maybe) that my aunt who is a farmer said about the guards calling to them about complaints related a gun or gas gun yoke (spose the banger thing you mention). Not sure if they inspected an actual shotgun or a banger thing.

It wasn't them that were setting it off but there was complaints from somebody about one going off during the night in the area. So you could ring your local guard station and enquire about it

Back