Ballyjamesduff in Cavan

gino

What are peoples thought on Ballyjamesduff in Cavan, I hear it is getting the name Ballydublin due to the amount of Dubs re locating there,

any comments greatly appreciated

Re: ballyjamesduff

I am originally from the area and when I was growing up, Ballyjamesduff (or Ballyduff) was a one horse town....Streets (and i use the plural loosely!) are as wide as they are long and it has more pubs than any other amenities. Believe me nothing has changed in the last 2 decades!

Basically, I'm all on for country living but there is nothing in this town and bad roads out of it. Would you not consider somewhere like Virginia? Granted it is growing at a ridiculously fast rate but its already on a main dublin-donegal road and is well serviced by buses. Also the lake and the forests are really really beautiful!

Dont know if thats any help to you at all.

Re: Ballyjamesduff

We left this area about 2 years ago though we were not living in Ballyjamesduff itself but a nearby village. Personally I hated the place, full of pubs, 1 restaurant (Chinese) 2 small centra type shops and that's it. I would recommend avoiding the place at all costs! As others have said Virginia is much nicer though much more built up and nearby Oldcastle could also be a runner. The only good aspect of Ballyjamesduff is that it has plenty of roads leading out of the place!

I've only been there once but the Chinese takeaway is the best takeaway I've ever had!

Ballyjamesduff is pretty much everything that's wrong with Irish Planning. Loads of houses and no infrastructure to support them. There is precious little investment in industry in the town, the Meat facory and the Furniture factory, neither providing many high-paid jobs. The local school has a new building and has to retain it's pre-fabs as the new building is not big enough to house all the pupils.

Virginia is a much better option and will be pypassed soon, the work on the N3 starting in early 2007.

If you're a stranger, B'duff is not the place to go.

Personally, I think KELLS is going to boom. There are plans for a major town development and it's proximity to the M3 will be a bonus. Look at Mullingar, it's just over a half hour to Dublin now the M4 is opened.

Personally, I think KELLS is going to boom. There are plans for a major town development and it's proximity to the M3 will be a bonus. Look at Mullingar, it's just over a half hour to Dublin now the M4 is opened.

It's a personal opinion but I think Kells is rough and the schools have gone downhill in the last number of years. Fine for a couple but I wouldnt move there with kids!!!!

I was talking about the future, not it's current state.

Apologies gone Fishin.....can only talk about the past and my own experiences around the area.

BJD is not all bad - it has lost some of its amenities – the hotel has closed down and is used as a private boarding house, the Bank of Ireland has closed and some small shops have gone to the wall.

Nonetheless it still has more than just pubs.
National School (new building being built)
Secondary College
County Museum, playground and gardens
Good GAA Club (Under 21s Champions)
Soccer Club
Numerous other clubs and societies – Bridge, Table Tennis, Old Folks, PTAA etc.
Post Office and Ulster Bank
Proximity to Cavan town and N3 (M3 hopefully soon)
And of course pubs

It is like any other small Irish town – based around the Church and the Pub – no worse or better than most.

BB

In the infamous words of Percy French Ballyjamesduff is actually the Garden of Eden:

"My Mother once told me that when I was born the day that I first saw the light. I looked down that street on that very first morn and gave a great crow of delight, Now most new born babies appear in a huff and start with a sorrowful squall But I knew I was born in Ballyjamesduff and thats why I smiled at them all"

Its got a great big Mart for good val-ya weanlings and all your Hardware needs - BJD is your only man. Lets not forget the now world famous annual pork festival. Get with the culture folks or get out.

Or are some like to say "Come back Paddy Reilly she's not pregnant at all"

BB

MInd you, live in B'duff and your children will have one hell of an accent!

(Although, depending on your neighbours, that could be Latvian, Lithuanian, Brazillian or Jackeen!)

Hey guys,

I am from Dublin and moved into Ballyduff about 2 1/2 months ago now. We are about 10 minute drive outside the town.
I have found it interesting to read everyones differing opinions on the town.

For example the difference between there and Virginia. Both have pro's and con's about eachother really. Virginia main street is very closed in, but pretty and has alot of services.
So is BJD, just more old style, but has pretty much everything really also. Such as shops, pubs, sports, internet services, banks, post office, hardware, pharmacies, dry cleaners, fruit+veg, doctors, hairdressers, bookies, real estate, butcher, fuel, take away, restaurant, well I think the point is made ;) That's just the town center too !

It is also very beautiful. With regards to the roads, I would say in most cases, any town you pick out of the country, whilst not being on a main national route like virginia, has a bad road or two, so that makes no difference either. (Not that Virginia doesn't !)

Well, I really like it, there is any product or servive you could want within a 10 minute radius/drive too and the people are very friendly in my experience.

J.D.

Back