Ballpark figure to knock two internal walls to make open plan living space

ericsson

Hi all,

I have an 1960s ex-corporation style house typical of those in Ballyfermot/Walkinstown/Finglas. I'm toying with the idea of getting my downstairs knocked open plan whereby the wall between my hallway and sitting room would be knocked and the back wall of the sitting room into the kitchen would be knocked. As both of these walls run at a 90degree angle to each other I assume one wall is load bearing. Also both walls are solid walls. My kitchen is currently at the other side of the sitting room wall so would want to move it to the other end of the kitchen to behind where the stairs are. Don't know if I'm explaining myself very well here. Basically I was wondering what would be a ballpark figure for this work. I wouldn't be planning in doing any work myself so would need builders etc. Light switches and plug sockets and a radiator would have to be moved, as would my gas boiler for one end of the kitchen to the other. All walls would have to be plastered and woodwork replaced. Any ideas of a rough figure for this or has anyone done similar? Obviously would need to contact professionals but before I do I just want to see am I talking about a pipe dream or something that may be possible on my budget. Thanks in advance.

Can't help with a quote, but I do live in one of these houses (a "parlour" house). And I have a friend who also lives in one, where all the interior walls were taken down by the previous owner. And as you say there is still a partial wall separating the parlour and kitchen, presumably for support.

One thing I would say about this set up - although it is lovely, you do lose a lot of functional space as you lose walls to put furniture against. For example, I have two bookshelves and a TV cabinet against walls that don't exist in my friend's house. She has noticeably less storage in her house.

The other thing she has mentioned is that all the heat from downstairs escapes up the stairs, and any draft from the front door sweeps into the entire ground floor.

However moving your kitchen cabinets from the side of the room they are currently on to the "under the stairs" side may significantly change the functionality of your kitchen enough that you would no longer want to knock down the internal walls. I have the cabinets, with a peninsula unit, on that side and it works very well indeed. I also blocked up the back door, to allow a full run of cabinets, and replaced the window with patio doors (this is a common modification in these houses and you may already have this). If you want to PM me I can send you a link to some pictures.

Back