Balbriggan or Donabate?

Mnoise

Hello,

Myself and my husband are considering to move to a commuter town at the seaside, especially Donabate or Balbriggan. We've been to both places and they seem lovely. We're not originally from Ireland so any tips regarding these places would be welcome - i.e. how safe are they, how is the social life there (obviously it's not Dublin city but a cinema or a cozy pub for an occasional pint would be nice). We're a young couple with no children, don't mind the extra commute.

Thanks!
M

I'd second vandriver's question, Skerries is well worth a look (although buying is more expensive). Lovely town.

If I was to choose between the two, Donabate! It's only a short drive to Swords, plenty of restaurants cinema shopping etc. The village in Donabate is nice so being so close to Swords you will have a nice balance

Donabate can be a nightmare for traffic during the village at rush hour, Supervalu parking and general layout is disasterious and on a hot day it comes to a standstill with beach traffic.

Balrothery is a nice village just outside Balbriggan. Basically has a national school and pub plus a shop and a chipper. Short walk to Golf Club.

I'm living in Balbriggan at te moment for over a year. Bit if a stop gap. But I hate it. We have to go to Skerries, Swords, or elsewhere to get restaurant and the likes. Cinema is good.

I live in Balrothery - a village about 2km from Balbriggan, so I know a little bit about Balbriggan. I don't know much about Donabate.

I've ended up living here as my boyfriend is from Balbriggan and he wants to be here to be close to family and friends. I am from outside Dublin, so was happy to go with living here. Overall Balbriggan is not a bad place to live. Here's some of the positives of living here:
- Good train links to Dublin - it takes approx. 45 mins to get to the city centre stations. There are alot of trains in rush hour.
- Good selection of houses and apts. There was a huge amt. of building done here during the Celtic Tiger years, so there are alot of houses and apts. to choose from.
- There's decent shopping in the town. The new shopping centre Millfield opened about two years ago.
- There are a good choice of schools in the town; Gaelscoils, Mixed, Single Sex, Multi-demon. etc.
- The beach is really nice and sandy.
- Good selection of sports clubs and gyms eg Golf, Soccer, GAA, Rugby, Tennis etc.

And now the downsides.
- The train. While it takes approx. 45 mins. the train from Donabate would take approx. 30 mins. Assuming you are working in town that would save you 30 mins per day.
- There are a lot of huge housing estates that were built in the last 10 years. Some of them have/will have a lot of social issues. Be careful where you choose - if you do decide to move here.
- While there are a lot of schools, it can be hard to get school places. Lots of people moved to Balbriggan in the last 10 years to start families, this has put a lot of pressure on schools.
- The town centre has been badly affected by the new shopping centre. There are alot of empty units on the main st.
- There are very few nice cafes, bars and restaurants to go to. When we go out to eat we always go to Skerries, Swords or Malahide.

Overall it's not a bad town to live in. Certainly the crime is no worse (nor better) than anywhere else. There are nicer places to live than Donabate or Balbriggan in North Co. Dulbin - but I am sure you are being driven by budget? What is your budget and what do you hope to get for that money?

Back