bag tags for hand luggage (Dublin airport)

4th estate

Do I need to get a tag for my hand luggage if travelling with hand luggage only?

I have never done this before. I check in online, go straight to security and on to the plane.

I was speaking with someone who knows about these things and he said that hand baggage should have a bar coded tag. If not, it is noticed by Customs and I would be a suspicious passenger, as removing the tag is a common occurrence amongst the smuggling community to hide where they came from.

I am stunned. I have not ever gotten a tag for hand luggage (no checked in bags). So far no problems, but I now wonder.

What you've been told is rubbish! Some airlines give you tags for hand luggage at check in, no barcodes just something to indicate it's been approved as hand luggage. But not all of them, certainly not the airlines where you check in online and don't check bags.

Bar coded tags are only put on checked bags.

Thanks shesells. You have confirmed what I have always thought. I always understood that bar coded tags were for checked baggage only.

I must get back on to my source who told me differently!

When you think about it, having to go to bag and tag drop with hand luggage only would negate all the advantages of having hand luggage only in the first place!

Just needed reassurance thanks.

Back