Bad experience with Sky

INYWIFNW

Not a big issue in the scheme of things but would appreciate any thoughts.

We’ve been with Virgin for broadband and tv for a good few years. Due to where we live, Virgin has always been the only place we can get sufficiently fast broadband so that we can work from home. It’s just been easier from a life admin perspective to have tv with them too. We ring Sky every year to check if the internet offering in our area has improved and they’ve always said no, you’re looking at max 2mb which obviously is no good.

A couple of months ago, I rang Sky again as Virgin contract coming to an end. Sky took our Eircode, and said this time, we could get fibre to the cabinet and speeds of 60-90mb. I had a good chat with the guy and said look, we both work from home, we have two young kids, we need this internet to work and it will be a big upheaval to change from Virgin - are you sure we can get those speeds? His response was along the lines of, I am telling you now, you have my word that you can get fibre to the cabinet, i can see it here based on your eircode, whilst I cannot guarantee you won’t get 50mb instead of 60-90, you will be absolutely fine for what you need. I said okay, let’s do it, and cancelled Virgin (which is due to turn off in a couple of days).

Fast forward to yesterday, the Sky tv guy comes and drills the holes, mounts the dish, sets up the tv, all good. The Sky broadband guy comes, has a nose around, climbs the local telephone pole, and says no, you’re too far away from the exchange, your max speed will be 2mb. I tell him we can’t go ahead with that, he agrees with me, so that’s that.

I need to ring Sky today and have a conversation but I’m quite annoyed. Any suggestions on how to take this forward? I guess it’s just exercise my cooling off period and ask Sky to take everything away and go back to Virgin with my tail between my legs. Really frustrating though.

They record phone calls for "quality and training purposes" so you can refer to the conversation you had with the sales guy.

Probably not much you can do to solve this, so you may just have to go back to VM

You have a coolling off period of 14 days so you can just walk away. Their own engineer supports what you are saying i.e. the speed isn't fast enough.

Not a big issue in the scheme of things but would appreciate any thoughts.

We’ve been with Virgin for broadband and tv for a good few years. Due to where we live, Virgin has always been the only place we can get sufficiently fast broadband so that we can work from home. It’s just been easier from a life admin perspective to have tv with them too. We ring Sky every year to check if the internet offering in our area has improved and they’ve always said no, you’re looking at max 2mb which obviously is no good.

A couple of months ago, I rang Sky again as Virgin contract coming to an end. Sky took our Eircode, and said this time, we could get fibre to the cabinet and speeds of 60-90mb. I had a good chat with the guy and said look, we both work from home, we have two young kids, we need this internet to work and it will be a big upheaval to change from Virgin - are you sure we can get those speeds? His response was along the lines of, I am telling you now, you have my word that you can get fibre to the cabinet, i can see it here based on your eircode, whilst I cannot guarantee you won’t get 50mb instead of 60-90, you will be absolutely fine for what you need. I said okay, let’s do it, and cancelled Virgin (which is due to turn off in a couple of days).

Fast forward to yesterday, the Sky tv guy comes and drills the holes, mounts the dish, sets up the tv, all good. The Sky broadband guy comes, has a nose around, climbs the local telephone pole, and says no, you’re too far away from the exchange, your max speed will be 2mb. I tell him we can’t go ahead with that, he agrees with me, so that’s that.

I need to ring Sky today and have a conversation but I’m quite annoyed. Any suggestions on how to take this forward? I guess it’s just exercise my cooling off period and ask Sky to take everything away and go back to Virgin with my tail between my legs. Really frustrating though.
I had a problem with 2 Mbps. So I did away with cables altogether and went for radio broadband (I don't know the tech term) Imagin. It varies between 12 and 26 Mbps which is good enough for me

We had a somewhat similar issue some years ago. When Sky couldn't deliver on the fibre broadband (despite what the salesperson said) we kept the television installation but cancelled the broadband order. There was no difficulty doing this (once I got through on the phone). We kept the broadband with Virgin.
By the by, I will check out Sky for their broadband offer again this year as it has definitely arrived here now.

Back