Bad debts - door stepping

A company I used to work for dealt with a lot of €150+ invoices. We implemented a credit card only policy for amounts under €250~.

For people who wouldn't pay, we'd ring them every day. Ask "when will the cheque be sent?" and then ring them questioning them when it's not received.

If you keep hassling them, it works.

I remember one customer, "It's only €150, will you stop ringing me!". Madness.

(slightly related) There's a program on BBc1 tonight about Debt collectors and the illegality they indulge in in order to intimidate people!

We signed up to a Debt Management & Recovery service based on an assurance if they didn' collect debt within twelve months then a full refund of fees would issue.

I have been trying unsucessfully since January to get a refund.

Since July now I have been told the cheque was issued. The cheque however has never made it as far as us. They have obviously learnt a lot from debtors they deal with as the excuses vary from someone away on holidays with the keys of the safe, cheque signatory out sick, cheque lost in the post, batch of post stolen - the list goes on and on.

I'm so frustrated at this stage I'm not sure how I should proceed.

Hi Dicey Riley

You are famous

By Daire O'Brien:

Not so Joined up thinking

HAVING recently written about the Irish auctioneering firm which was selling properties in Budapest on the basis that "the locals are like the Irish were 10 years ago, young, well educated, talented and motivated", it was good to read in full the IDA's rebuttal of this insinuation of fiscal flabbiness and all-round decline. According to its full page ad in 'The Economist' this week, the post-prosperity Ireland is "flexible, agile, with a unique capacity to initiate and innovate - always thinking on our feet".
"Adapting and improving, connected by a dynamic information infrastructure. In Ireland, everything works together."
I visited some online Irish business forums to test whether the verbiage was justified.
Enlightenment came on the useful askaboutmoney.com, where one small businessman was asking his fellow cyberchatters how best to prise payment from a number of tardy creditors.
It turns out that the chap in question was owed about €450 by a series of small shopowners, tradesmen etc for a promotional service he undertook.
Most people were advising him to suss out debt-collection agencies etc, until one more pro-active entrepreneur suggested the following.
"Don't get mad - get even! Run off a few cheap photocopies of your last letter requesting payment and stand outside the business asking (his) potential customers to hand-deliver to the owner!
"I only did this once before but he paid up after the third copy (5-7 minutes)."
Is this the type of creative Irish business thinking the IDA is referring to?

We signed up to a Debt Management & Recovery service based on an assurance if they didn' collect debt within twelve months then a full refund of fees would issue.

I have been trying unsucessfully since January to get a refund.

Since July now I have been told the cheque was issued. The cheque however has never made it as far as us. They have obviously learnt a lot from debtors they deal with as the excuses vary from someone away on holidays with the keys of the safe, cheque signatory out sick, cheque lost in the post, batch of post stolen - the list goes on and on.

I'm so frustrated at this stage I'm not sure how I should proceed.

I wonder if anyone has ever gotten a collection agency after another collection agency? Say that would be fun!

I can't understand why people dont only use No Result - No Commission Agencies. That way you will only pay if & when you get your money recovered.

With the execption of 1 business, all my debts are outside of Dublin. I reckon these guys know that I'd have to go out of my way to doorstep them. I still reckon I'll be going ahead and doing it. I'm owed another 1K from 2 businesses who bought advertising from me in Cork. When I look at the totals, it's adding up. I had a mentor who told me about some guys from Dublin years ago. He was some debt collection guy who was known as Mr Smelly. They'd give him a few quid and he'd stand in the main reception until he'd smell them out and they pay up. Anyone know if he's still around :)

Reminds me of a BBC article I read about tax collectors in India. They are bringing singing and dancing Eunuchs along with them when they call on business hoping mortify them into paying. What would be the equivalent here?

Contact each of your debtors by registered post requesting payment by a specified date or you will display the unpaid invoices in a prominent public place.A friend of mine done this with a bounced cheque,he never had another bounced cheque from anybody.

Back