Bad debts - door stepping

BobbyFowler

I've posted a query on chasing a bad debt before. I've also seen similar posts. I sell advertising & my average sale is 450 Euro. People pay when their ad is on display. The advertising I sell is to local businesses who sell to the public (Car Dealers, Estate Agents, Florists etc) I currently have 10 businesses who are not paying me. They haven't responded to any of my solicitors letters. I'm debating just turning up on their doorstep, and remaining on their property until (hopefully) they get uncomfortable with my presence (doesn't look good in front of their own customers) and they just pay me off (it's not a huge sum of money). Anyone out there with any experience of this or with any words of advice? It's not my ideal choice but it really gets on my nerves that they reckon they can just get away with it......

Should the solictor letters be just light threats or something more meaningful. How much are you owed altogether? I guess its alot of hassle to bring them to court but if its a substantial amount of money then its worth it. You could also claim for loss of earnings.

Do you have any idea why they are not paying up? Perhaps they feel they have not gotten the deal they signed up for? I know this doesn't necessarily justify not paying, but perhaps it does if they feel there was a breach of contract on your part. Just a thought. Have you tried talking to these customers directly?

I've sold to over 650 people so these are just the small percentage of people who are being awkward. They know they've no reason not to pay but just couldn't be bothered. Wasting my time with a solicitors letter (it's only worked on 1 occassion). Wouldn't have thought the "trespass" issue would be a problem as I'm justifiably waiting collection for payment. Interested to hear of people in the same boat who may have tried this. Reckon that I'd get 1 in 3 if I do it this way. It's worth over a grand so I'm thinking of spending a day doing it.

Look into the costs of taking one to court and how it compares to the total of the bad debts. If you get a successful case against one, I suspect the others would pay quite rapidly, as you've proved you are prepared to take serious action.

It's not worth bringing someone to court for 425+ Euro, & they know that. If I'm standing around in their premises, looking like an eyesore, getting in the way of them serving their customers, they're more likely to pay up to get rid of me. Maybe I'm wrong........

It's not worth bringing someone to court for 425+ Euro, & they know that. If I'm standing around in their premises, looking like an eyesore, getting in the way of them serving their customers, they're more likely to pay up to get rid of me. Maybe I'm wrong........

Don't underestimate the ability of these people to find & use phoney excuses not to pay you. Frankly unless you have a lot of time on your hands, I think you are probably wasting your time trying to doorstep them or otherwise make a nuisance of yourself. The time spent travelling around doing this might be better spent attracting new business.

Don't get mad - get even!

Run off a few cheap photocopies of your last letter requesting payment and stand outside the business asking (his) potential customers to hand deliver to the owner!

I only did this once before but he paid up after the third copy (5-7 minutes)

Hope you get paid

Cheers
Dicey

Dicey is the word for stunts like that. You were lucky he didn't sue you for libel.

Dicey indeed - but I'd take my chances in court.

Deadbeats who refuse to honour their debts deserve no mercy and if he did want to go to court for libel damages - I would hope that the resultant publicity from the court reporter would be a lot more damaging to his 'good name' than the award for libel.

Dicey for him too to pursue that angle........

Let us know how you get on Bobby. I too am owed a similar amount of money from a customer and I am considering standing outside or just inside his office until I get paid. Solicitors letters have not worked to date.

Try a debt collection agency... although you should make sure they operate on a "No Result - No Fee" basis.

I will probably be offering a service to builders/developers in the New Year which would only cost 150 per housing unit. In most cases, its going to leave very small bills. I know that this trade above any expects credit. I'm also aware that this trade above any other is notorious for non-payment.

I really don't want to offer a credit line for amounts that are going to be small in proportion to the time, effort & expense its going to take to collect in many cases.

My worry though, is that i will lose business as a result. What way should I go on this?

Try a debt collection agency... although you should make sure they operate on a "No Result - No Fee" basis.

None of them do, as far as I could find find out after contacting more than a few.

I will probably be offering a service to builders/developers in the New Year which would only cost 150 per housing unit. In most cases, its going to leave very small bills. I know that this trade above any expects credit. I'm also aware that this trade above any other is notorious for non-payment.

I really don't want to offer a credit line for amounts that are going to be small in proportion to the time, effort & expense its going to take to collect in many cases.

My worry though, is that i will lose business as a result. What way should I go on this?

payment up front

If you are dealing with auctioneers, treat them the same as their bedfellows , the builders / developers. They are all " trades above any other which are notorious for non-payment."

I used to work for one that does Rabbit. Totally "No Result No Fee".

If you want more info send me a msg and I will send you their details.

Back