Bad Credit Card Debt

Bad Credit Card Debt.

Hi Bad Debt. For a start you could change your post name, to: Good Intention. You would feel better about yourself.

I stand to be corrected, but you have done nothing Criminal. You took money from your CC account, which put over your limit. The Bank Allowed you to exceed your limit. That is Not Criminal. You have simply broken a Bank Rule. You cannot be sent to Jail for that.

The problem could arise if the Bank goes to Court and gets a Judgement Order for the money. The Judgement it'self is not a major issue, but if the Judge sets out a "Payment Order" then ignoring or not abiding by that order would be a very serious matter.

No matter how annoyed you feel, you should try to stop seeing the Bank as the Enemy. It will help you to concentrate better on meeting them and having better dialog with them. They really will treat you in a different light when you approach them from a different angle. Lay on plenty of sadness and poor mouth. When you first meet one of their reps, you might find something you have in common with them.Ie. Town they come from, town they live in, their old school etc. and talk about that. You will find that they are human too. Dont give up and dont hide, go for it.

I actually agree, I deal with a lot of these situations, I am a non paid adviser, but I give 20 hours a week, petrol etc. I an based in the SW 220 miles from Dublin, I will give you my private contact details, I will take the rain anywhere. What you owe in very small, I see families every day with CC debts of 20Kplus, please visit www.mabs.ie,If the CC company contact you first, they have the advantage.

Hi, Sorry OP this wont help you, I am actually interested in JEON50 response, you are a non-paid adviser? is this volunteer work with some agency or what, reason I want to know is I would love to do something similar. I have experience in this area and see a lot of the difficulties out there & would like to help. Would appreciate any info.

Hi wbbs I understand your worry as i also have cc debt and havent sorted it out yet. I just want to ask JEON50 what advice they may be able to give me if thats ok. I have two cc debts totalling about €8 but have bank debt of €16 thous. I wrote to both cc and told them I couldn't pay the minimum, asking them to freeze interest with the hope i could pay a small amount each week to at least start to pay off the loans. boi cc wrote back to say they wouldn't except a small payment and would not freeze interest and aib just keep ringing me but i don't answer because mabs once said not to deal over the phone. The problem is i am not dealing with any of it because i can barely pay what i need to each week, how can i start to pay off all this debt. I did get to a point where i was quite ill from all the worry but its gone past that now and i have decided to let it all go to court. Am i wrong in doing this? I very much appreciate your advice.

You are best to let the judge decide what you can or can't pay.

Hi Joe O Public

I am glad you said this. I'm tired of people telling me to negociate with the cc companys and banks when they won't agree to accept what I say I can afford. myself and partner only have 163/wk each plus we now are going to get 86/towards our 800/mth mortgage. We have done everything in our power to cut costs but we still don't ever seem to have any left over so don't really know how we can repay loans at this stage. We do put enough by each week for car/ins/tax/esb/tele.

Have you had any experience of going to court yourself?

I have been to court many times. The judge has sided with me each time once evidence of my inability to pay was shown. The result was that my creditors will have to write off the money as the judge will not order me to pay them.

I am currently facing a repossession application so I have to focus on that.

Hi Joe Q Public

Thanks for your reply. I know each case is individual but I am feeling better knowing that hopefully the judge wont throw me in jail. I have never been in front of a judge or had to go to court and it absolutely scares the hell out of me. Some people think that because we have got into a lot of debt and havent it sorted, we are unwilling to pay our debts. That couldn't be further from the truth. I would give anything to have a spare 50 or so a week to pay off bills but I just don't.

Good luck with the repossession application and remember to do the euro millions tonight.

Sorry, have been away for a few days. I take it you had a meeting with MABS. There is a final action you can take. Request the MABS rep. and the rep. from the banking federation to mediate. There is NO WAY you will be sent to jail by a judge if you have made an offer based on your means. If the loan is is unsecured, and the CC is definitely not, please, please do not worry.

For the record I have been in this situation myself. C.I, are always looking for help

Yep, Contact your local C.I. You learn a great deal. I had the bad times, nearly there. Nice to give something back

Citizens Information. It is an awful pity that they are so variable in their advice. Some are very good and run by very well educated people and others are less so who simply quote from leaflets.

Hi Joe Q Public

I'm afraid I agree. They are potentially a very good idea but unfortunately when I moved to where I am living now and opened a business there was a lot I didn't know. I tried to get information and advice from my local C.I. but they were so unhelpful. Having said that there is some wonderful people who do care and are working in other C.I.s around the country so I wouldn't like to condem them all.

www.citizensinformation.ie

C.I are over run at the moment, call in to your nearest office, due to lack of funding, for training. There is a lack of qualified advisors. Normally once a week you can avail of free legal advise from a person from FLAC, it really depends on your office, I agree

Hi JENO50

I guess in fairness they would be over run with so many people asking for help, just like Mabs. I only got advice over the phone from mabs. They said at the time that they only dealt with individual debts and not with businesses. We had a small business when we first got into difficulty and it would have helped greatly at that stage if we could have got help but thats the rules.

Back