Motor Bad Crash No Nct, Hit Lamppost.

gers1980

Hi

Looking for someone who works in insurance, or has been in a simular situation. No inexperianced opinions please.

I am with Quinn-direct, covered third party fire and theft. I had a really bad accident last week in which I hit another car and a lamp post. The lamp post was replaced by the copperation the next day.

My problem now is I got a claim forum in the door asking me to attach a valid nct cert. Unfortunatly we where in the process of getting the money together to get the nct done. So I do not have one.

My question is....am I f**ked. Will the insurance company pay for the damage to the other car, and will the copperation bill me for the new lamp post.

Thanks in advance

Hi gers, you could be in a bit of trouble but it will really depend on how ling your nct is out by. First thing I would do is call your claims handler and explain the situation. Still fill in the claim form and send it back as they'll need that either way. Tbh this is really going to be down to the type if handler you have and how long your nct is out by. Quinn normally will decline cover for not having a valid nct so they may also reject the claim on the same grounds. As I said though you need to call them asap.

Good luck. Bear

Cheers mate thanks. Is there any truth in this. Quoted from another forum.

Quinn Direct are legally obliged to pay out to all 3rd parties, regardless of whether or not you had an NCT. So the other car and the council are covered.

An insurance policy usually requires that you maintain your vehicle in a roadworthy condition, however an NCT is not a certificate of roadworthiness and Quinn would have to prove that your vehicle was not roadworthy in order to void your insurance policy.

In any event they must pay the 3rd parties and then they can chase you for the costs later on if they think you were in the wrong.

Just send back in the claim form without the NCT cert.

Sorry gers just looked back over your post and noticed you said you're only TPF&T so you should be ok. Afaik by law all insurers must pay out any 3rd party claims for anyone they cover so the other car and the council should be fine. I would still let them know about the nct, worst case senario is they send out a supplementary questionare for you to fill, but believe me not telling the could come back to haunt you.

Once again good luck. Bear

thats all very interesting I use to be with quinn now with FBD and the main difference is quinn just send out your insurance note and look for nothing other than no claims doc. FBD ask all the right questions and want proof of everything including NCT..

Hi bluemac, Quinn have been asking for nct for about 6 months now. Either way though, it has nothing to do with the OP's question. Moving insurers because you feel safer with someone else is your own decision and is really down to what you are after in an insurer. I wouldn't tell anyone you should go to x instead if y because they ask this but y doesnt. It's all down to what you are after. I do know that Quinn are asking alot more questions than they used to, such as nct, and maybe they don't ask for proof, but then if you lie to them you are only hurting yourself in the long run, as is the same with any other insurer that go on good faith.

Bear

Last edited:
I only swapped due to the price increase... no other reason, it was a lot more hassle with FBD due to all the things they asked for,

If having a valid NCT is a requirement of insurance then how can anyone who fails the NCT drive away from the test centre and be insured ?

You need to be insured to take the nct, so most people would schedule it during their insurance year. If you fail you must make the repairs and apply again, if you have an accident during the time you failed and your retest your insurer can check this and take that into account. It's all situational, just like any other claim, all details are taken into account.

So bluemac, would you prefair if FBD operated like Quinn? ie. not asking for as much proof. I just ask out of curiosity.

Bear

Getting back to the OP's original problem. It seems to me that QD are looking for NCT Cert to verify that the car was roadworthy which as mentioned earlier will be a condition of the policy.

They have to deal with any Third Party claims under the terms of the Road Traffic Act. If they can show that the car was not roadworthy then they can seek reimbursement of any monies paid out from the policyholder.

Not having a cert does not automatically make the car unroadworthy. They will probably pursue matters when they discover that the NCT was out. To protect yourself I'd start gathering info to show that car was maintained such as servicing receipts, tyre purchase receipts etc.

same way a person can drive away from the driving test centre having just failed their driving test ...

Back