Back to School Clothing and Footware Allowance

Ttree

Does anyone know how long it takes for the back to school allowance to come through, it is my first time to apply for it - I applied in the first week of June but have not heard back yet.

last august i sent the form in and got the payment a few days later.i usually wait till the last minute and then get the school clothes and shoes and bites n pieces.

i thought id get in early with form.. as im a lone parent i dont want to spend summer wondering how i will get thats needed !! thanks for reply Ttree

Given the expected increase in applications this year, applications made later in the summer may take some time. Might be better to apply in June/July rather than leave it to August to be certain of having the money in plenty of time!

yup i read that this morning on the social web site so i printed off the form and will send in the morning.phew :)

hi all, hope ye can help, my husband is on 3 day week now and gets 130e for the balance of his days so his total per wk is now 329e, i work part time and next income per month 1161e (which i use to pay mortgage) would we qualify for the back to school allowance, looked throught the forms etc but not sure really if we would it, do they take into the caluculations your child benefit? many thanks

Child benefit is not counted as income when assessing for the Back to School C & F scheme.

Your total income will be assessed (your wages, your husband's wages and his Jobseeker's payment) when deciding whether you're eligible or not.

many thanks gipimann, may as as well apply as we really could do with any extra help.

How many children do you have?

The limits for couples are:

1 child €560, 2 children €586, 3 children €612, 4 children €638,

You also need to be claiming or taking part in one of these:

• You are getting a social welfare payment (including Family Income Supplement) or a Health Service Executive payment, or
  • You are taking part in an approved employment scheme, or
  • You are taking part in a recognised education or training course
  • You are involved in an Area Partnership Scheme, or
  • You are attending a FÁS, Fáilte Ireland or LES training scheme.

hi samanthajane,
we have 2 girls and he is claiming his dole so should fulfil the criteria i think, thanks

Yeah you should get it then.

I would apply now, there seems to be taking a lot longer this year because so many extra people are applying for it. Even though they haven't yet finished school you dont want to be left in the middle of august still waiting on it.

i was trying to work it out if they calculate my wages down to weekly and some weeks we would be over by 10e but other weeks well under so dont know now if we will get it.??

You need to average it out. This is how i think they calculated it.

So times your monthly wage by 12 and then divide by 52 that will give you your weekly average.

Does that put you under now? I'd still fill in the form and send it off, you have nothing to lose.

just called the hse info line.was told Back to schhol allowance forms now have to be post to po.box 116132 Dublin 7 as hse no longer deal with it. theres a query line open from july 1800201968

The HSE East Central Back to School Unit deals with applications from persons living in Dublin, Wicklow and Kildare only. The PO Box and freephone number are not for other areas of the country.

Check the Community Welfare Service Website for information on how to apply - see [broken link removed]

Last edited:
tks samantajane, under some weeks and over other wks by about 10e but i sent the form off yesterday no harm in trying and really could do with the help this year. Thanks

You can but wait and see.

Is there a club where you get your childrens school books or uniform from.

You still pay the same but i find throwing a few quid towards it each week, even just a fiver help take the sting out of the final bill.

Do you know anyone that might be a year or 2 ahead of your children. Most years i would pass on jumpers/cardigans that were still in good condition. They just dont seem to stop growing. And always have growth spurts just after you buy them things.

I'm so thankful that tomorrow is the last day of school my son has been walking around with ankle bashers the last few weeks lol but i just couldn't justify buying a new pair 2 weks before schhol has finished, they were only new at the beginning of easter, and they dont even look worn. There going to a friend of mine, along with my daughters dress which is nearly a belt at this stage that was also only new in april!

Back