Back garden a swamp

Sarah

Just wondering is it still the builders responsibility to tend to a back garden that is not usable. We moved into our house 4 weeks ago and in fairness we have had alot of rain but my back garden is literly a swamp, i walked on it last night and in soe parts sank right down to my knees...no joke! I can not hang a washing line out my back as i cant walk on the grass to hang up clothes anyway. Was thinking of getting it slabbed maybe in the summer when i can afford it but for the meantime could i get the builder to do something with it under the homebond guantaree, the garden is totally unusable. Any info would be great as i dont want to call the foreman only to be shouted or laughed at!!!

Sarah said:
Just wondering is it still the builders responsibility to tend to a back garden that is not usable. We moved into our house 4 weeks ago and in fairness we have had alot of rain but my back garden is literly a swamp, i walked on it last night and in soe parts sank right down to my knees...no joke! I can not hang a washing line out my back as i cant walk on the grass to hang up clothes anyway. Was thinking of getting it slabbed maybe in the summer when i can afford it but for the meantime could i get the builder to do something with it under the homebond guantaree, the garden is totally unusable. Any info would be great as i dont want to call the foreman only to be shouted or laughed at!!!

This indicates that there is no drainage to speak of. Do speak to the foreman. If he adreas laugh or shout at you (what?!) throw him on the swamp. Seriously, stand your ground, there should be drainage in a garden. Muddy is one thing, but knee deep mud is just not on.

I'd say you have two chances of getting the builder to do anything about this. If you do then you're a better wo/man than me!

I had similar (still have to a lesser degree) problems with our garden when we moved into our new house 6 years ago. The garden was saturated with standing water making the garden utterly unusable. I tomrented the builder until he finally but in a bit of land drain. however the following winter the situation hadn't improved. I pursued the builder again, without satisfaction. At this point I consulted a chartered engineer I knew and asked him to inspect the garden, which he did. He wrote me a vague "report" (with my suggested wording) saying something along the lines of "if water is allowed to pond in the garden this could undermine the stability of the foundations over time. The builder should rectify this as a matter of urgency". The builder was out the next week with 2 lads for the day. They put in additional drainage which improved matters somewhat. However the garden is still wet, but my neighbours gardens are worse- only they don't act on it at the time. My advice is talk to the builder- if he fobs you off consult an engineer.

Thanks everybody for replying,

I phoned the builder and he said he not going to do anything!!! And yes...he had a snigger at me!!He said due to the weather its to be expected but when i told him that its actually quite dangerous and that i had sunk right down he just said everybodys is like that and he cant do anything. I pestered him telling him that ok i expect it to be muddy and the ground to be a bit slushy and soft but not to sink knee deep into my garden and i couldnt use it to hang a washing line out or anything as we have a rotary line, cemented it down correctly but because the ground is so marchy the line is now severly slanted as the ground is not solid enough to hold it, he just said if its like that during the summer to call him then!!!!!!.............Yeah right, like im ever going to get a hold of him then!!Am now thinking i may just have to get in someone to slab the garden but as we have fencing and not walls i dont know if there may be problems with the foundation of the fencing as we would have to dig up the garden!And it would cost me alot to get some sort of filler before the slabs went down to stop them sinking as well!!! At a loss but what can i expect i suppose! Thanks again for everyones replies...at least i tried!

In the mean time for drying the clothes if a dry day comes along, put the clothes line along the edge of the foot path, not ideal but at least you can hang stuff on it without having to change shoes etc.

Heres what you could do..
1. Talk to your neighbours and get together as team-its harder for someone to dismiss a group of you.
2. Get an engineer to inspect the garden(s) and to issue a report. Take plenty of pictures of the garden to keep as evidence.
3. Get your house plans from your local authority, and check for drainage in them.Talk to people in the planning office, they can be source of good advice as what to do.
4. Talk to the builder again, but let him know that you may take the legal route if the garden isnt repaired to your engineer's satisfaction.Theres nothing like a solicitors letter to light a fire under a bulders This post will be deleted if not edited to remove bad language.
Best of luck, and remember, gardens are supposed to be rainproof so dont let the builder fob you off with that one..daithi

daithi said:
Best of luck, and remember, gardens are supposed to be rainproof so dont let the builder fob you off with that one..daithi

Some of Daithi's other suggestions are worth considering but I'm not entirely sure what "rainproof" means in the context used above.

I meant that if a garden floods or turns into a quagmire every time it rains,its not rainproof-there should be sufficient drainage to avoid these problems...daithi

Back